• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 12v thru drives for 10 seconds = stuffed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Hiya guys & gals

Looks like I popped a 5v fan adapter that I made (yes I know... I should have cut the other two wires off) into the drive power loop, and fed 4 x 2Tb drives with 12v of juice for a few seconds.

None of the drives (no real surprises there) are being detected in BIOS any longer...

My query is this...

Is it worth having a go at replacing the electronics board on the drive with a good one, to see if the data is retrievable?

I doubt I'm the first to have done it (although it was a pretty stupid mistake) and maybe someone has had success... i.e. - is it just the electronics that will have fried, or the motor, spindle, etc?

Value any thoughts.

sounds possible to do since all the data and tables are stored on the platters. the rest is just how the data gets moved to and temp storage space. i would see if you can find them on ebay cheap or what have you, ie same size/model.

either that or if you know which components failed/fried, if you got a friend good at smd soldering. those components can be replaced, assuming you can get hold of those same or close values.

Cheers...

I have another couple of 2Tb drives exactly the same, so worth having a go (maybe)

Is it easy to do? Is it simply a case of undoing the 1/2 dozen screws underneath and swapping them over?

On the drives I've tried, it is easy to do. There is a generic looking "connector" where the PCB mates with the physical drive casing. Assuming the same size, revision and such you might be in luck.

Hope it works out. :)

PS - Depending on the mfg, you might need hex screws a Torx tool/wrench. :shrug:

Last edited:
On the drives I've tried, it is easy to do. There is a generic looking "connector" where the PCB mates with the physical drive casing. Assuming the same size, revision and such you might be in luck.

Hope it works out. :)

PS - Depending on the mfg, you might need hex screws. :shrug:

Thanks... that's given me a boost of confidence.

Those tiny wee screws with the hex-inset for turning are sooo small... I'll have to do some hunting to find the right tool, but definitely sounds promising.

B

Darn... that's a nice looking tool...

I'll see if they are available in NZ, but I doubt it.

I think most cellular phone repair shops have them, try look around or ask them. Those torx type for opening cell phone can be used on the drive's board.

Just bring the drive to see which size fit.

Thanks buddie

I'll try that. I've found a set locally... probably not the best quality, but then... I only have 5 drives to work on.

They're even smaller on the 2.5" drives. ;)
BTW, I was mistaken. It's Torx, not Hex...I get them confused.

Any-who, pick up one of these (if you don't already have something) and you'll be set. I have this exact one myself, and it's worked on every drive I've tried to dismantle. <insert evil grin here>

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgg/R-100087664/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

0cc66c97-59bd-467d-9c41-48fff3c20a49_300.jpg

I have that screwdriver and it works on everything! I think its like $5 at Home Depot. They also have a philips/flat-head screw driver that works great on electronics.

And as long as you get the same revision logic board for the hard drives, you should be able to just swap them out. My only concern might be if the controller stores some disk management information on local storage, in which case it'd get lost after a swap. But it's worth a shot anyways!

I have that screwdriver and it works on everything! I think its like $5 at Home Depot. They also have a philips/flat-head screw driver that works great on electronics. And as long as you get the same revision logic board for the hard drives, you should be able to just swap them out. My only concern might be if the controller stores some disk management information on local storage, in which case it'd get lost after a swap. But it's worth a shot anyways!

Thanks

The tool I found locally arrives today, so hopefully I'll get time (it's Christmas Eve here!) this afternoon to try one and post some results.

B

Back