• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm weird, i know, but pls help! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukkbox

Hello you lovely geenius's

I have an odd question that i'm sure will make some if not all of you laugh

I want to make a CPU run between 40-70 degrees celsius just by passing 4.8volts through it

It will be in a simple circuit composed of 4 x AA rechargeable batteries in a switch box (4.8volts) with just one red and one black wire

How do i do it, is it possible or am i wasting my time and yours?

Any help or suggestions welcome, i am trying to create my own boot warmers so i can go nightfishing even when its snowing and thought my CPU gets pretty warm sometimes so maybe i could use an old one of them

Of course i completely realise this seems to be the opposite of what you guys and gals are trying to acheive so i also welcome mockery wholeheartedly :D

all the best and thanks for taking the time to read this

Peas :santa:

Well you have the voltage, but you dont have the amps lol. Not enough power.

what he said, you could feed the 4AA into the multiple pins that connect power to a cpu, and get it to warm up probably, because the CPU uses more like 40-60AMPS at very very low voltages, your connecting things and battery are likly to suffer. If it could somehow supply enough juice at the 4+ volts, it would just burn out the gates, and probably burn out to "open" or "carbonised" and no more flow.

why not parellel the 1.2v type batteries , to feed it more "normal" voltage, and increase the ability for it to handle the amps, then that still would be a current problem.
even then trying to get the cpus thermal managment to control temps, that would be 70C not 70F . i dont know what other effort or connections might be required to insure that the thermal managment even operated. and spikes , can still fry it. thermal management is backup , not a temp control.

Did you know they use Ni-Chrome wire, in many of the clothes gloves and sock warmer items, that is done by basically Shorting out the power across this wire, and feeling the heat roll off that wire.
it takes much power, (usually Dcell for runtime) and the length of wire is important.
basically you set the length of wire or type of wire to the heat you want vrses the voltage (and total power when the voltage drops) your pushing into it.
you can buy ni-chrome wire off the web , if you cant find it Raw, it is used in many devices , so it can be found that way too.
that would be one way to do it "correctally" :) but what fun is that.

solution, Wool socks.

Last edited:
what he said, you could feed the 4AA into the multiple pins that connect power to a cpu, and get it to warm up probably, because the CPU uses more like 40-60AMPS at very very low voltages, your connecting things and battery are likly to suffer. If it could somehow supply enough juice at the 4+ volts, it would just burn out the gates, and probably burn out to "open" or "carbonised" and no more flow.

why not parellel the 1.2v type batteries , to feed it more "normal" voltage, and increase the ability for it to handle the amps, then that still would be a current problem.
even then trying to get the cpus thermal managment to control temps, that would be 70C not 70F . i dont know what other effort or connections might be required to insure that the thermal managment even operated. and spikes , can still fry it. thermal management is backup , not a temp control.

Did you know they use Ni-Chrome wire, in many of the clothes gloves and sock warmer items, that is done by basically Shorting out the power across this wire, and feeling the heat roll off that wire.
it takes much power, (usually Dcell for runtime) and the length of wire is important.
basically you set the length of wire or type of wire to the heat you want vrses the voltage (and total power when the voltage drops) your pushing into it.
you can buy ni-chrome wire off the web , if you cant find it Raw, it is used in many devices , so it can be found that way too.
that would be one way to do it "correctally" :) but what fun is that.

solution, Wool socks.

gotcha, it was a long shot i know hehe

i got probably the best wool socks going and thermal wicking/layering system etc, everything about me is toasty warm, except my freakin toes!

i came across something called flexible etched foil heaters on my homework travels and i think they are nichrome wire sandwhiched between two layers of plastic/rubber for just this purpose

i beleive thats what they use in the 'kosher' version of what im trying to make, but all the reports tell me they are all badly made and tend to fall apart pretty quickly so i wanted to build something that was solid cos my gear really gets tested

i would only be turning the thing on for a couple of minutes at a time just until the feeling came back to my toes so would turn it off before fire set in hehe

back to drawing board

thanks again for your time and brainpower guys, much appreciated! :santa:

heres my question why a cpu??? you could just run some copper wire on a piece of plastic and make a heating element! the trick is using enough wire so the resistance isnt so low that it causes things to melt. youd have to remember it takes 1 volt to push 1 amp thru 1 ohm of resistance most dc systhems can run with safely 2 ohms so just figure out how much wire and or resister that takes then youve got your heater! good luck

which explains why they use nichrome wire, because it takes ~100-1000Feet of copper wire to reach a full ohm of resistance
http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm
assuming i am reading the chart right, and copper of that quality even exist in what we can get hold of and afford to buy.

When i am trying to keep the resistance out, when wiring something, there always SEEMS to be way more resistance than these charts show, but then again, my wire might just be copperish colored junk :)

Back