• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why use a file server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

So I want your opinions on the question above?

I get asked so many times (and often called stupid) why I use a fileserver and I would like some backup from you guys n gals :)

So this is what I usually say:

1: I like all my data in one central location accessible from all machines on my network.

2: It's easy to expand

3: I can leave it sitting in the corner running its own backups without dragging the data over my network (Couldn't do that with a NAS)

4: I can set permissions on who/what can read/write to my data drives

Thats as much as I can think of really.

Yes I have gone further than a lot of people would (Twin XEON server board, ECC RAM etc)

But i'm sick of work mates saying "Just get a NAS" :( I need your support! :thup:

Actually, those are all very real and all very good reasons. I can think of no more. For a highly networked home environment, these are all valid. Most people who would think its all silly, have one maybe two computers that share no data. Most home networks share internet only.

I think people are giving you a hard time because an NAS setup is considered a much easier way to do it. From what I understand it is also allows faster access to data over a file server. It ll depends on what your needs are. Not sure why they would care.

you can add additional services such as torrenting, folding,

My file server started as a torrenter , and it got extra services added on to it as my needs changed, I used to have 1 pc as a torrenter and a file server, and another as a htpc, when my htpc started having problems (it was a p3 running geexbox) i just moved my file server next to my tv, ran xbmc on it and started using that to play videos as well.

over all, the biggest advantage of a file server over a NAS is that you can add additional functionality later

All your reasons can be boiled down to one word/idea - flexibility. NAS devices are just that, devices - very specific both in configuration and hardware, fixed, unchanging. A file server can do many things since it's a computer and not just a digital device. Not only can it be programmed for disk maintenance (error checking, defragmentation, and back-up) the computer itself can be used for other tasks as needed. It's the difference between a 1/2-blade pocket knife and a Swiss Army knife ...

WHS is going to be dead. I have it and like it, but Microsoft did zero marketing beyond HP selling some servers with it.

The expandability is nice, you can add a video capture card and basically DVR TV, stream movies, torrent, SECURE data, easier to organize backup data, stream music to your entire house at the same time (VLC), fold/seti, use it as an emergency computer if your main rig has an issue, allow access from remote locations to your files, install Tversity on it and have access to the data on a Xbox or smartphone. Also you can set it up with multiple NICs and use a virtual machine (not as safe as a dedicated machine but the VM can help buffer some) as a smoothwall.

It removes overhead and load from your main workstation or gaming system. This allows greater utilization of local resources.

It reduces the complexity of the hardware that you are working with. For this community, it mitigates risk. High or unstable overclocks can lead to RAID crashes to data corruption.

It simplifies backups. It's much easier to back up crucial files from a single location than individual systems.

NAS is not a panacea and usually complicates backup strategies. You typically need to run your backups from a system. If that is your primary system, you are increasing it's load for backups. Data recovery can be more difficult using NAS. What is your planned repair process if you lose a core component. For example, a backplane goes out on a NAS. How would you source one? How long will it take? Are your backups current?

i run a file server because you can't run 6+ virtual machines on a typical nas box or a game server. as others have mentioned, my server has many purposes that i have added through the years. it not only serves files and hosts VMs, but it encodes movies on the fly for PS3 media server, hosts a game server, hosts websites, ssh host for remote sessions, & i use it as a proxy server from work.

another great thing is that it gives me great experience working with linux from the standpoint of server administration. my knowledge of linux has expanded greatly because i run a linux based server with no gui. overall, i just have more control and flexibility to make my server perform many more tasks than any nas box could ever do :)

i love the fact that if i have a machine go down for some reason, i don't ever have to worry about the data that was on the workstation. everything on all of my workstations/laptops is replaceable as all important data is on my server, including the installation files for my applications. in all reality, if i had to format any of my computers, i could be back up and running in the time it takes to install windows and whatever application i need and that's it. no need to back up any other data since it is all saved on my server.

Because zfs.

But in seriousness; I like to play games that I can't do with any other type of remote storage/local storage safely. NFS exported ZFS homedirs is the current one.

My desktop machine fills many roles, including file-server. It's currently running Gentoo Linux, and has been for about a year or so.

It:
- Hosts all my media
- Has a capacity of ca. 4 GB. My main machine is a laptop with a 500 GB HDD.
- Stays in one place, whereas my laptop gets taken all over the place.
- Runs Folding@Home (Team 32!)
- Runs uTorrent
- Is used as a backup solution for the three laptops that are often knocking about the house (my laptop, GF's laptop, our netbook)
- Is connected to the TV for watching media
- Is connected to the Hi-Fi for listening to music
- Has even been used to run calculations (via VNC)

It does pretty much everything, except gaming or office work. My GF isn't keen on it though: as it runs linux it can't view some streaming content (Moonlight is still behind Silverlight, for example).

Back