• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 crashes evertime it "sleeps"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbcranium202

Well, the problem is already explained. Ever since I installed windows 7 my computer will crash the SECOND it sleeps. With programs installed or not. I've reinstalled from disk and from the boot menu. Even with the drive slick it crashes. I've run virus scan after virus scan (I use AVG security suite). I've changed settings for when it sleeps, whether it asks for a password or not. If I don't constatly use or don't shut down every single time the computer WILL crash and I'll lose anything that was running. Is this a driver issue? If so, what is the easiest way to find out what MoBo I'm using? I did not build this one, and the individual I got it from does not remember exactly what model it is.

I also have a sound issue, as in it does not recognize any sound output. I am almost positive this is a driver issue though, so hopefully it will fix both?

What is the easiest way to find out what MoBo I'm using? I did not build this one, and the individual I got it from does not remember exactly what model it is.
Either get the make and model number directly off the motherboard, or use a program like CPU-Z open to the Mainboard tab, Everest, PC Wizard, etc. to get the info.

get CPUZ to determine the MOBO - its almost certainly a driver problem, but its a good idea to rule out hardware

uninstall the sound driver and reboot, does it still crash?

turn off sleep mode and let it run for a day - does it crash then?

run SFC /scannow <---- checks that Win7 is not corrupt internally

run MEMTEST over night <---- ensures the memory is not faulty

run CHKDSK /r over night <---- checks the hard drive for surface errors, long run time

Back