• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy this 32" LG 1080p and use as my monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IgnitedX

Hey guys, I just saw this (http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LD400.jsp) for $400 CAD at Future Shop on boxing day. Just wondering if it's any good for its price. If I do get it, it'll be replacing (or duel-monitoring) with http://www.all-monitors.com/monitors/manufacturers/pos/philips_244e1sb.

Mainly be using it for pc gaming, PS3, and reading pirated copies of textbooks when I go back to school... ($400 in textbooks can get me by one semester? FML!) :comp: Let me know what you guys think! :thup:

By the way, I am absolutely clueless with monitor/TV specs, all I know is that 1080p is better than 720p! :chair:

Hey there :)

In a word: no.

While it has great specs for a TV, it's horrible for a 32" LCD computer monitor. Native rez is 1920 x 1080 which ain't all that great for a (computer) display that size. Unless you have vision problems and need things to be larger than normal, I'd give it a pass.

IMHO, of course, YMMV. :thup:

Hey there :)

In a word: no.

While it has great specs for a TV, it's horrible for a 32" LCD computer monitor. Native rez is 1920 x 1080 which ain't all that great for a (computer) display that size. Unless you have vision problems and need things to be larger than normal, I'd give it a pass.

IMHO, of course, YMMV. :thup:

I quite with you actually. I was thinking about it today, since my desk at home isn't height adjustable, I will have to have my chair at the highest and my back perfectly straight to have my eye level slightly above it. :sly:

If only I can steal my desk from work... push a button and it'll move up and down! :sn: But then I'll still have to sit somewhat far back...

Im thinking about the same thing, getting a 32" 1080P TV for my desktop monitor, IMO i dont know why you should have problems with it

Ive seen videos over youtube and it doesnt seem to be bad after all

anyone in here has a similar setup to share his opinion?

Thanks

Running a 32" HDTV as PC display for 24 months now so I think I can provide input:

Yes, 1920x1080 @ 32" with your face 24" from it is not the most awesome possible experience in terms of pixels per square inch. Absolutely.

However... there are a lot of advantages as well. These include being able to run other stuff such as a PVR box from your cable provider, PS3, etc, on the same desk.

Also, the image processing on a lot of HDTV's is pretty good and can be used in Windows with the right driver. I'm using AMD's LCD overdrive and ITE processing options to increase perceived refresh rate (I don't know how they do it man... it works. Crazy) and use my TV's post processing to improve visual performance. The result is similar to getting one or two AF passes for free. (for ITE on a Bravia Engine 2 tv).

Flight simulator and Crysis are fun. When you can bury your face in your screen and have a more immersive experience, they are more fun.

There have been moments where I've gotten so into gaming on a 32" that I've dodged stuff, Craned my head away from the ground, etc. Never happened on a smaller monitor.

The Panasonic 32U22 is cheaper than a bag of potatos and has an IPS panel. Excellent performer for the price. I have one too. Like it better as a monitor just haven't used it as long (the Sony went on living room duty when the Panasonic went on PC duty).

Also, wouldn't you feel better knowing you have a way bigger start button than most people? Mine's the size of a postage stamp. It's quite nice.

The biggest + of all though, is that if you're outputting in YbCr vs RGB (newer cards with HDMI out support color pallete switching AND pixel format switching, so if your TV is 4x4x4 rather than 4x2x2 you can adjust for it) movies look wiiiiicked.

REALLY high NTSC and RGB gamuts, 32", IPS... $400 something USD. TCL32U22 Panasonic. Buy it. UNLESS you're an FPS junkie and absolutely must pwn to live. Then you want a TN panel screen. It'll suck for color but you'll get 2ms response vs 8ms>

If you want to fall somewhere in the middle get a PVA panel TV.

Panasonic mostly uses IPS panels. Sony mostly uses PVA. Sharp mostly uses TN (on Aquos. Don't know about Quattron. Also not a big Sharp fan and only using the brand for reference). The response time goes down and the color pallete also decreases as you go left to right.

Welcome to the Forums, MexGT! :)
:welcome:

It's certainly doable, and will function -- The only issue would be the quality of resolution. That 32" TV only puts out about the same resolution as a 23" LCD monitor, 1920 x 1080. Even a decent 30" LCD monitor would put out about about 2560 x 1600.

$ vs performance + post processing joy wise though, if you can deal with the reduced res, go for it.

Also keep in mind that running a native 1080P screen has advantages such as being in perfect raster when you want to watch a BLU RAY. You can also set a TV that supports 24Hz to 24Hz in windows for BLU RAY playback. Which is wicked.

This is true -- the lower/less quality display (or resolution) is usually cheaper. I'm not up-to-date on the raster aspect, but what few Blu-ray movies I've seen, well, I've been impressed.

reading pirated copies of textbooks when I go back to school... ($400 in textbooks can get me by one semester? FML!) :comp: Let me know what you guys think! :thup:

That is morally wrong not to mention talking about it on THESE forums. You lose brownie points with me and others on here!!!!

well I'm on the same boat as the OP, want a big screen but it seems 95% use 1920x1080 res, 4% 1920x1200 and 1% are 2560x1600 (expensive!)

well I'm on the same boat as the OP, want a big screen but it seems 95% use 1920x1080 res, 4% 1920x1200 and 1% are 2560x1600 (expensive!)

1920x1200 would put you out of raster for Bluray. It's 16:10. And obviously- if one can afford it the best possible choice here is a SUPER high end LCD monitor with an IPS panel in the 27-30" range and the $1600>2500 range. Image quality is tear enducing.

well atleast in my case, I never watch BlueRay movies, I just want a good sized screen for my Computer & Games I play with it. :D

Hope this video helps make your decision guys.

Thanks for the video man, are you using HDMI from the computer to the TV? or which?

seems like a good size for me IMO, not tiny small for the eyes to focus a lot to everything like it would happen with a bigger rez, the most important factor here is how far is the TV from your face, if your desk can acomodate a sweet spot then thats a go.

That is morally wrong not to mention talking about it on THESE forums. You lose brownie points with me and others on here!!!!

Haha, my bad! :chair:

Hope this video helps make your decision guys.

Wow, I didn't expect a video response. Thank you for that! :thup: Can you give a little more on web surfing experience? Since I do spend a fair bit of time outside of the gaming realm when I'm on my PC. Also, I didn't quite catch the point you were trying to make about reading the forum in the video because the forum looks pretty similar to what I am seeing on my 23" 1080p. I did notice a big difference when I switched over from my old 17" 4:3 LCD (I didn't even know what resolution is when I had it :shrug:) and I like widescreen a lot more! :D

Haha, my bad! :chair:

Wow, I didn't expect a video response. Thank you for that! :thup: Can you give a little more on web surfing experience? Since I do spend a fair bit of time outside of the gaming realm when I'm on my PC. Also, I didn't quite catch the point you were trying to make about reading the forum in the video because the forum looks pretty similar to what I am seeing on my 23" 1080p. I did notice a big difference when I switched over from my old 17" 4:3 LCD (I didn't even know what resolution is when I had it :shrug:) and I like widescreen a lot more! :D

Well, the web surfing will be the same as you currently have but on a 32" TV. I don't notice any major changes. I was just trying to show what reading text was like when it took up 80 percent of your FOV.

Well, the web surfing will be the same as you currently have but on a 32" TV. I don't notice any major changes. I was just trying to show what reading text was like when it took up 80 percent of your FOV.

Ah, okay. So it's just a size thing.

My work laptop has 1080p on a 15.4" screen, it was horrible when I first got it because the text was so small I had to move it closer on several occasions to read. Then I totally ditched it when they got me a 23" 1920x1200. :clap: :clap:

What do you guys think of the deal for the 32"? It's $400 with shipping online right now, not sure what it will be in store tomorrow. There's also the Toshiba 32E200U for about the same.

By the way, what's this IPS, DVA, and TN panel stuff? I have a feeling that I'm probably in the category that shouldn't have to worry about this because I can't tell the difference between similar screens unless they're right beside one another. Am I right? :p

Back