Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > AMD (ATI) GPUs
AMD (ATI) GPUs
Forum Jump

Radeon 5870 E6 (EyeFinity6) Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 10:13 AM Thread Starter   #1
visbits

Radeon 5870 E6 (EyeFinity6) Questions

Hi Guys, I picked up a Diamond 5870 Radeon Eyefinity 6 edition this weekend.

I was curious on how exactly the *6 display ports* work....
If I plug in 2 monitors via DP>DVI I can run them as individual displays, however if I plug in any other port it can only be a *copy* of one of the 2 primarys, this also disables my 2nd GPU (HD2600) and 2 other displays.

I was hoping that with the 6 display ports I could run 6 individual desktops or a desktop spanned across all 6. Is this a limitation of the DVI adapters and it would work with full display port connections?

Any info or documentation on this would also be appreciated.

--Merry Christmas everyone!

HEATWARE
visbits is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-10, 02:36 PM   #2
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

If you want to hook up more than two monitors to the card; one of them MUST have DP connectivity --> Straight from card's mDP port to DP port on monitor; not via mDP-DVI adapter. Once one of the displays is hooked up via DP; you'll be able to span all 3 displays or use them as separate displays as well... But the requirement for more than 2 displays is that one of them have a DP input.
You can read more here: 5870 Eyefinity 6 Review

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-10, 04:03 PM Thread Starter   #3
visbits

Thanks for the info, that was a great read!

Guess I can go ahead and order 3 dell u2410s.. been waiting for a reason to get them.

72" if IPS beauty.

HEATWARE
Old 12-25-10, 04:31 PM   #4
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

Love my U2410

All the U2410 monitors should come with A01 firmware now, so no need to worry about pink/green tint or dithering issues.

Requiring a DP connection is the only downside to Eyefinity...

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (97-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-10, 05:11 PM   #5
CompuTamer
Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
Love my U2410

All the U2410 monitors should come with A01 firmware now, so no need to worry about pink/green tint or dithering issues.

Requiring a DP connection is the only downside to Eyefinity...
I don't think there's much that could be done about it either. DP is digital, right? Therefore removing the need for a RAMDAC for that output, if my logic is correct?

Most video cards have two RAMDACs, so they can only run two displays. Eyefinity goes around this with the DP. It's digital, so there's no need for a third RAMDAC.

This is all just theory of course. Only posting to see if by some chance i might be right. Haha.

Oh, and Merry Christmas

8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................4GB Hyundai DDR2 800
60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Intel 320 80GB
Antec 900.................................................. .......................................Titanium Lid
BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Various HP AC Adapters
XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............ATI X2300 Pro
Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......14.1" 1440x900
Windows 8 ProMC.................................................. .............................Windows 8 ProMC
Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.
CompuTamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-10, 08:07 PM Thread Starter   #6
visbits

Hoping they go on sale tomorrow or monday so I can pick them up for around $410 each...

HEATWARE

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > AMD (ATI) GPUs
AMD (ATI) GPUs