• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H50 noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lutsk

Hey guys, im surely going to buy the Noctua NH-D14 because its the best CPU cooler out there on cooling/noise basis but I wanted to make sure since I still hesitate because of the H50. Let's clear things out, the H70 is WAY too loud apparently so we can cross that one out. How about the H50?? I read lots of reviews that the H50 is either too loud or has strange clicking noise problem. The pros for the H50 are: Best cooling performance (after H70) and really looks cool in case when looking from side window. But aside from that, why would I get this over NH-D14? (H50 only has like a 1 or 2 degrees off the NH-D14) Could any1 also give me the noise rate comparison?

Thx

Is your case wide enough for a 120mm tower heatsink? Is your RAM high-profile (tall heat spreaders)?

Those are the biggest reasons for going with the 'H' series coolers over high-end air, clearance issues ... ;)

My future case is HAF X.. I think that's pretty much gona fit anything that I want rly xD
I picked low profile RAM for the NH-D14 cooler: ocz 3 x 2GB platinum DDR3 1600 6-8-6-24

What I wanna know is the noise coming from the H50 please, in dBA if possible?

Many reviews on the net mention, and maybe with numbers what the Dba of the H50 is.

Every noise test is different unless under the SAME EXACT CONDITIONS.

Dba is fully subjective. Even our reviews, ((if you look under HOME in the far left corner here, they HAVE been reviewed even here.) Maybe read up a bit.

The H50, to make it equal at the same noise as a top end air cooler is louder. At least you need to replace BOTH H50 fans with better louder fans to get it to perform even a BIT better than the top air cooling. The H50 has less cooling capability than the H70. Do you get it?

It's capability, not noise. The H50 is a skinny tiny radiator. The H70 is a thicker tiny radiator.

Noise for these is needed because they need obscene amounts of air to perform like a top air cooler.

Kapish?

If your asking for less noise and lower temps, you need to stop looking at these silly so called air coolers and jump your budget to about $250 for CPU cooling for low noise.

Many reviews on the net mention, and maybe with numbers what the Dba of the H50 is.

Every noise test is different unless under the SAME EXACT CONDITIONS.

Dba is fully subjective. Even our reviews, ((if you look under HOME in the far left corner here, they HAVE been reviewed even here.) Maybe read up a bit.

The H50, to make it equal at the same noise as a top end air cooler is louder. At least you need to replace BOTH H50 fans with better louder fans to get it to perform even a BIT better than the top air cooling. The H50 has less cooling capability than the H70. Do you get it?

It's capability, not noise. The H50 is a skinny tiny radiator. The H70 is a thicker tiny radiator.

Noise for these is needed because they need obscene amounts of air to perform like a top air cooler.

Kapish?

If your asking for less noise and lower temps, you need to stop looking at these silly so called air coolers and jump your budget to about $250 for CPU cooling for low noise.

Surely there's a CPU cooler running standard to check its performance?

Obviously I wasn't asking for capability but the best cooling/noise ratio.

"Kapish?"

Obviously I wasn't asking for capability but the best cooling/noise ratio.
That would be a custom water loop. If the rad is big enough you don't even need a fan and the pump noise is almost non-existent, so you've got virtually silent cooling. :p

But if you're looking for something on a more moderate budget I think the NH-D14 is about the best choice. Here's a link to muddocktor's top-end heatsink review and a link for the H50 and H70 reviews as well.

http://www.overclockers.com/premium-heatsink-shootout/
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-highend-air/
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h70-review/

If noise is a big concern for you most of the fans he used have db specs at Performance-PCs or Sidewinder's.

FrostyTech lists noise levels for a whole bunch of coolers. :) http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2525&page=4

Last edited:
Wow, nice, thx quietice! Btw, is it me or nh-d14 has better low performance than h50's high performance!? o_O

PS: I don't see no silver arrow in the list.

anywayz, definetly going nh-d14

Like I said above, unless you've got clearance issues or some specific reason for not using a 120mm heatsink the H50 isn't the best choice. The H70 isn't bad, though ...

I have owned the H50 (didn't have good luck with it) and now own two D-14's. After reading the reviews done on the D-14 and the Silver Arrow with the fans provided with them if I had known about the Silver Arrows when I purchased I would have gone with them.

Newegg doesn't even sell silver arrow so I ain't gonna bother lol.

Back