• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uprgrade my 4890?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbcranium202

I currently use a 4890 in my build, which is listed below, although it will be upgraded (CPU: Q8300 and RAM: Gskill 4x2Gb 1066) prior to changing the GPU. I was also thinking about upgrading my 4890 to a 5850. I play WOW am about to start SCII and will definately play Diablo III when it comes out. Would it even really be worth the upgrade? Would I notice much of a difference in game play (obviously not so much for WOW, I'm talking more about SCII and Diablo III)? Or should I wait a little longer and use my 4890nto see a new gen come out and update when I had money to make a whole new build in about the next year or so?

I currently use a 4890 in my build, which is listed below, although it will be upgraded (CPU: Q8300 and RAM: Gskill 4x2Gb 1066) prior to changing the GPU. I was also thinking about upgrading my 4890 to a 5850. I play WOW am about to start SCII and will definately play Diablo III when it comes out. Would it even really be worth the upgrade? Would I notice much of a difference in game play (obviously not so much for WOW, I'm talking more about SCII and Diablo III)? Or should I wait a little longer and use my 4890nto see a new gen come out and update when I had money to make a whole new build in about the next year or so?

I have friends with bad systems that play WOW on high, so I would not worry about that. Im sure you will be able to play Diablo 3. I would rather upgrade CPU, MB first before I upgraded the 4890.

My 4890 can run Crysis: Warhead on high, and most of those games are pretty CPU intensive. I think with the CPU and RAM upgrade, you'll be fine.

Going from E8400 to Q8300 is a downgrade, what are you thinking?

StarCraft 2 does not benefit from 4 cores. Diablo 3 will be very performance efficient, as it is basically a 2004 game with updated stuff over the years.
CPU is more important - keep the E8400 and overclock it. I made some tests at friends place and his system with E8400 @ 4 GHz paired with HD4870 512 Mb DDR5 beated my system with Q6600 @ 3 GHz paired with GTX280 1 Gb DDR3 in games like SC2 and World In Conflict. Think about it! Q6600 is actually even better than Q8300 btw. Unless you are rendering 3D or compressing videos, quad core CPU is not needed.

Wow really? A downgrade? Fair enough, you just saved me some money. I'll just save it up for my next rig, which will probably be an i7 build. If I do a whole new build should I salvage the 4890 (and get a midrange gpu for this rig to give to my wife) or start looking at the 5870?

your system is still very solid, and will play most games that come out in 2011 on high, i would wait until sandy bridge comes out to upgrade your cpu and mobo, and buying 5xxx series cards makes no sense now wait a little until drivers get updated for 6xxx series and get 68xx or 69xx gpu.

And that E8400 Wolfdale is very good overclocking cpu ive seen people reach new 4.0Ghz with those, so if you need to im sure you can reach 3.8ghz.

Don't upgrade anything before you do the CPU/Motherboard. That GPU is plenty enough for your current system and upgrading it will just lead to diminished returns.

Is the only real cpu upgrade worth while going to be skipping up to an 1156/1366 cpu/mobo combo? Or is there something still left on the 775 that would be worth looking at?

Your current system rocks, man. It's not a world beater, but it's still entirely a good system.

I'd wait and go with a Sandy Bridge system for sure. I love SB. I am running the Fatal1ty P67 with an I7 2600K right now. GREAT STUFF.

On the LGA775 side there was that QX stuff, like QX9xxx that are amazing. I sold a couple of them here. However, the price of one vs. just getting a new mobo and CPU probably means going with SB would be a good bet.

Wow really? A downgrade? Fair enough, you just saved me some money. I'll just save it up for my next rig, which will probably be an i7 build. If I do a whole new build should I salvage the 4890 (and get a midrange gpu for this rig to give to my wife) or start looking at the 5870?

Yes. And E8400 is more expensive than Q8300 anyway. It is as expensive a Q9400 where i live. So, your rig is good, but what MB do you have?

Back