• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest AM3 mb challenge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apht3rThawt

Chip to chip challenge. Everybody has an opinion, we all have that in common. What we don't have is the proof. Benchmarks and reviews show interesting discrepancies. I think my Gigabyte 890fx and 890gx can go mano a mano against any Asus, or any other for that matter. Show your goods. It would be good to see 1090t, 1055t, 965, 720. Let's see some cpuz scores for the pure hurtz. Apples to apples. State whether air, water, DICE. Play fair guys, let's see what happens. Post 'em as you get 'em.

You guys are funny. Benching team, throwdowns, a little intramural bother you? Afraid I'll be embarrassed? I'm a noob, embarrass me. Asus? MSI? Biostar? Where are you?:eek:

I'll start off and later post even faster ones. Gigabytes on air.
890gx 4202Mhz http://hwbot.org/community/submission/1090801_apht3rthawt_cpu_z_phenom_ii_x3_740_4202.42_mhz
890fx 4424Mhz http://hwbot.org/community/submission/1088259_apht3rthawt_cpu_z_phenom_ii_x6_1055t_4424.1_mhz

Last edited:
Chip to chip challenge. Everybody has an opinion, we all have that in common. What we don't have is the proof. Benchmarks and reviews show interesting discrepancies. I think my Gigabyte 890fx and 890gx can go mano a mano against any Asus, or any other for that matter. Show your goods. It would be good to see 1090t, 1055t, 965, 720. Let's see some cpuz scores for the pure hurtz. Apples to apples. State whether air, water, DICE. Play fair guys, let's see what happens. Post 'em as you get 'em.

No takers...everybody's satisfied?
Epic Public Fail:(

Its the holidays man... give it time.

I really like the assertiveness though! Too bad I have an Intel and cant play.

We don't have a smiley to effectively express my giddy at this point in time! Brb with my links!

Phenom II 555 unlocked to Quad on Air - 4430mhz

Phenom II 720 Tri-core on Air - 4161.69mhz

Phenom II 720 Tri-core on DIce - 5050mhz

ALL done on a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, a Gigabyte 790FX board. :thup:

Last edited:
OK...
I'll play:

PII 555BE - GA 880GM-UD2H (Punny... Punny MoBo)

4016.2 MHz (251 * 16) / (Air) - TR IFX-14 HSF... Just trying to see how far the FSB would go -> CPU-z Validation

4218.64 MHz (200.89 * 21) / (Air) - TR IFX-14 HSF... That's as far as it would go on my puny 450W PSU and MoBo. -> CPU-z Validation

PII 555BE (Unlocked to 4 cores) 3977MHz -> HWBot Submission

Getting a Biostar TA890FXE and better PSU soon for more testing.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with your PSU for your application. Its not holding your o/c back any I wouldnt imagine...nice job though!!!

Does that chip unlock? The first thing I did with mine was unlock and stress test at stock. I haven't even seen how this chip clocks at a dual or single core. :rofl:

@ EarthDog -> You have a point. I have had the PC reboot on me a couple times while trying to push the cpu harder. It was while I was trying to get past 4GHz with the unlocked cores active (Double the TDP), so I figured the PSU was struggling a bit.

@ ChanceCoats123 -> I got lucky and this baby unlocked and is as stable as an Amish marriage... :rofl:
I did push the chip to close to 4GHz on the 4 cores for a bot submission, but did not do the CPU-z validation so I did not post it on the original list, but here it is:

PII 555BE (Unlocked to 4 cores) 3977MHz -> HWBot Submission

Holy overclock Batman!:clap: That's what we're talkin' about.

Chance is givin us the rabbit to chase, let's go for it. All you Airboys come on, get im posted. This is not a personal competition so much as a "show what the mbs have that we are using," kind of thing. We can't hit 5gs on air but I'm putting my mb outside in -20c temps and see what she does, again. And great unlocked action on the boards.:p

You can't get a 24 multiplier? I could hit well over 24 on my 720. Perhaps I misunderstood you. :shrug:

Nope, no misunderstanding. Won't unlock, won't take a high multi. I would hesitate to recommend the 740. Don't get me wrong, it runs great @3800, ok @4000, but fails at =>x20. Only tried in GA 890gpa/gx, not in 890fx. I have made boints with it though.:-/

My X2 4600+ won't go past 2.5GHz. My motherboard doesn't even allow me to increase the vcore! Even a BIOS update didn't solve the problem.

Back