Overclockers Forums > Software > Games
Games Tips and general discussion
Forum Jump

Using a mouse for PS3 FPS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 02:53 AM Thread Starter   #1
andylove2011

Using a mouse for PS3 FPS

I've been a PC gamer since year dot and still am, but I've just got a PS3 and yep it looks pretty good, great graphics etc but I've gone from being a lightning fast and deadly FPS killing machine to a fumbling bullet spraying no hoper and this is all down to the control method...
The dual shock controller, while an incredible design is just not accurate, I don't think it will ever come close to a mouse and keyboard no matter how much practice I get.

I've come across this, and a few similar items which look perfect for my needs but have been given wildly differing reviews, seems to be 1 star or 5 no middle ground.

Does anyone here use one, or know of any better alternatives? As it stands I am doomed to mediocrity using the dual shock and it's rather frustrating to say the least
andylove2011 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-10, 12:28 PM   #2
Deathhorse

I am with you buddy tried my hand at call of duty and failed badly. Having major pains with goldeneye wii as well.

maybe this works http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...QTBR5MN54E9A2G

steam:bluedood
Dont take the classies for granted
Deathhorse is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-10, 01:03 PM   #3
MattNo5ss
5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Overclockers.com Editor

The Eagle Eye looks to be the best option. It has its own CPU for processing which supposedly removes any lag/delay which can be seen from other products.

Really, I think it all comes down to practice with any controlling method, whether it's a gamepad or mouse/keyboard. I'm horrible with the mouse/keyboard, I always over or under shoot my target with the mouse, and I always have trouble hitting the right keys with the keyboard (forget hitting multiple hotkeys at once). I'm infinitely more accurate, have more fluid movement, and can do multiple actions at once with the PS3 controller.

It's hard to force yourself to learn a new way when you are already good using another method. That's why I keep going back to PS3 for first-person games. I use the PC for RTS and RPGs though.

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (98-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build
MattNo5ss is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-10, 01:19 PM   #4
Theocnoob
Hates Trashcans
LOVES GRAMMER

I took a year off of PC gaming and got so used to using a controller that it took a while to actually get my WSAD / mouse thing going again. On the upshot though, now that I have both, I can obliterate people in Battlefield 1943 on Xbox... which IMO is the best game I've seen released at the <$20 mark in a long time. I've heard good things about some of the PS3 mouse-ish and keyboard-ish products.. But I still don't understand why we aren't just giving people the option out of the box.

Sure, someone on mouse/keyboard will beat someone on a controller every time, but nobody's stopping that guy from picking up a $14 OEM KB/Mouse set :P.
Theocnoob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-29-10, 09:17 PM   #5
BenF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
I took a year off of PC gaming and got so used to using a controller that it took a while to actually get my WSAD / mouse thing going again. On the upshot though, now that I have both, I can obliterate people in Battlefield 1943 on Xbox... which IMO is the best game I've seen released at the <$20 mark in a long time. I've heard good things about some of the PS3 mouse-ish and keyboard-ish products.. But I still don't understand why we aren't just giving people the option out of the box.

Sure, someone on mouse/keyboard will beat someone on a controller every time, but nobody's stopping that guy from picking up a $14 OEM KB/Mouse set :P.
The fact that a mouse/keyboard player will beat a controller player everytime seems like a good deal for microsoft and sony. It would become almost mandatory to use and they could even force people to use their specific mouse/keyboard and charge $100+ for it.

Fujitsu Lifebook T Series
-M540 - 4gb ram - 300gb hdd
Lenovo T61 (out of commission)
-t7300-Nvidia nvs130-2gb ram-100gb hdd-14" widescreen
"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." -Oscar Wilde
BenF is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-10, 08:37 AM   #6
bigben6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post

I would not say this as a blanket statement, given equivalent gaming experience and time with the specific game sure, but your not gonna step int oa brand new game first time on a M/K and smoke guys on PS3's who have been playing for 5 days game time/6 months... I think if you put EVERY game of BO on one server, PC, Xbox, PS3 yes generally speaking PC gamers would end up at the top and do better overall, but dont assume PS3 controllers are SO inhibited they would get wiped up easily by any and everyone with a mouse and keyboard...

SSD- OCZ Vertex 60 GB | HD- WD Black 1TB
PSU- Corsair 650 W | COOLER- Hyper 212+
MONITOR- Asus Vh242H | CASE- Antec 902
Overheating Click Me!
bigben6 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-10, 11:32 AM   #7
soldierguy

I posted to a similar thread the other day. My PC was disabled for a week and I started using my old PS3 with the on line connection and hand controller to play a few shooter games on the PS3 network. And I'm as lame as ever with those stupid controllers. I hate them too. And there are a lot of mouse/+ like PS3 devices out there for sure. But for the moment I'm continuing with the controller because as some of the others are saying if I work at it "i think" i can get better. And if i meet with family and friends somewhere on the planet or wherever and they offer me a controller I don't want to say I can't use it. Its like not being able to drive a car or something! Those things are everywhere. So for the moment I'm making myself play something everyday with the controller--even if only briefly. And I've seen some improvement, but mostly ask my opponents to "please stand still" I can't shoot you if your moving haha. But it sloooowly gets better than I was!! I mostly have trouble pushing down those thumb sticks. It hurts a little or something. Just me-some arthritis I guess-but not horrible, just a little noticeable. I've switched to a Logitech cordless Rumblepad 2 that i bought years ago, and for me--haven't done any testing--but the thumb stick "seem" a tiny bit lower or easier to depress etc, so thats good. Goodluck on whatever you decide.

System: Win 7/64 home prem,Cosmos Cooler 1000 case,Corsair AX1200 power supply,i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz , Zalman cnps20lq liquid cpu cooler, MSI Z87 Mpower mobo, MEM 8Gx2/GSkill F3-1600,Radeon 7970 x 2 Crossfire, Samsun 840 EVO SSD 250GB + WD Raptor 300gb x 2 HD ,steelseries Akari mouse, Leopold keyboard,Dell G2410H 24" 1920x1080 x 3 Eyefinity
soldierguy is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Games
Games Tips and general discussion