• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help... I may have bit off more than I can chew... IBIS HSDL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trushot

Registered
OCZ has a new SSD drive out called a IBIS HSDL ... I bought the 240 GIG version and I think they come in sizes from 100 a 960

this drive blows normal SATA drives away because it uses a pci slot to connect to motherboard directly allowing 20 gb/s communication instead of 3 or 6 on normal sata

It has glowing reviews from every site that that has reviewed it because of it's nasty speed

Well I ordered this drive for my boot drive and to put MMO's and Video software on ...

I have an external for music and pictures etc

This drive is the only hard drive on my new system as it will only be used for MMO's and video software and 240 gigs is plenty of room

I have got my system to post but cannot get it to recognize this drive that only attaches through the supplied pci card .... So I am at a standstill

I am thinking since it has a pci card it my need a driver but i have no clue how to get a driver to it with no windows os and only just the basic motherboard software .... Not even sure that's what it needs

Anywoo this is my first ever pc build and I picked a brand new SSD tech that I cannot seem to google my way past to get up and running ... Everything thing else seems to be running ... MB / RAM / DVD / VIDEO CARD / etc

All the componets are listed in sig

If anyone has bought and installed one of theses or knows where I have fallen short please advise...

I really wanted to do all this myself but may have to pay a local builder to get me through this SSD if I can't figure it out ...

THANK YOU in advance if you can help

As an FYI ... The tinkering part of pc building ( putting parts together ) I am at complete ease with ........... The software part of PC building - CMOS , figuring out how to install drivers without windows , bios settings are all foreign and scary to me heh

While I've never owned a Flash based PCIE card it should be much the same as a Raid card which I some experience with. First a couple questions, does the bios recognize the card, if so does it recognize it as a bootable device? If those 2 are yes then you should be able to set boot device as cd/dvd and boot Windows install and see the drive :shrug:. Perhaps someone here owns one of these and has some answers or head over to OCz support forums (you want the sandforce section) perhaps they have some insight.

While searching around a bit more it seems your motherboard is supported for this drive if your on the v1002 bios, something to check.

well right now, that I know of, no BIOS will read a PCI slot as the primary boot drive.. and also these new drives are very very new and somewhat experimental in some respects. All of the reviews i've ever read, not about this specific version, have always had some kind of issues with drivers and/or use for anything beyond normal storage..

unfortunately I don't have a cureall answer for this one..

OCZ has a new SSD drive out called a IBIS HSDL ... I bought the 240 GIG version and I think they come in sizes from 100 a 960

this drive blows normal SATA drives away because it uses a pci slot to connect to motherboard directly allowing 20 gb/s communication instead of 3 or 6 on normal sata

It has glowing reviews from every site that that has reviewed it because of it's nasty speed

Well I ordered this drive for my boot drive and to put MMO's and Video software on ...

I have an external for music and pictures etc

This drive is the only hard drive on my new system as it will only be used for MMO's and video software and 240 gigs is plenty of room

I have got my system to post but cannot get it to recognize this drive that only attaches through the supplied pci card .... So I am at a standstill

I am thinking since it has a pci card it my need a driver but i have no clue how to get a driver to it with no windows os and only just the basic motherboard software .... Not even sure that's what it needs

Anywoo this is my first ever pc build and I picked a brand new SSD tech that I cannot seem to google my way past to get up and running ... Everything thing else seems to be running ... MB / RAM / DVD / VIDEO CARD / etc

All the componets are listed in sig

If anyone has bought and installed one of theses or knows where I have fallen short please advise...

I really wanted to do all this myself but may have to pay a local builder to get me through this SSD if I can't figure it out ...

THANK YOU in advance if you can help

As an FYI ... The tinkering part of pc building ( putting parts together ) I am at complete ease with ........... The software part of PC building - CMOS , figuring out how to install drivers without windows , bios settings are all foreign and scary to me heh

its a pci-e card, ot pci. did you read the install manual ?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/IBIS Install Manual.pdf

from what I gather have your windows cd / dvd in and it will load, it wont list the drive, you will manualyl have to load the drivers that came with your ssd, once complete you should be able to load windows

well i got it working ... just thought i would update ... a lot of people have had problems getting it up and running but boy o boy

when you get it all snuggled in and running ... my GAWD! it is fast

You should post what you did to fix it so others that have the same issue have something to try.

You should post what you did to fix it so others that have the same issue have something to try.

well this was my first PC build so to some it prolly wouldnt been a huge issue figuring it all out

but to get this thing to work you have to set bios to ACHI ( i think that is the 4 letters )

then you have to make sure and download the driver on one machine and save it to disc or usb ( i saved to a usb harddrive )

load up the driver through the usb device

then stick windows disc in dvd rom drive and install but you ahve to make sure that the boot order lists the generic named ibis first in bios ... its called something with raid in the name ... that was the last part that was looping me .. once i listed that first it all loaded up

Back