• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash issues on web site

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I've created a web site for a church I attend. I'm a total greenhorn at it but I've uploaded it and it works great. Problem is flash. I've learned how to embed flash and it works on my computer if I open the page in a web browser. But when I upload I get a place holder that identifies itself as flash but no flash itself. I put the swf file and pbx file in the images folder along with all of the images for the site. I'm stumped. Maybe I need to put a player in there somehow?

Are you using relative or absolute paths?

A relative path would be something like "./images/something.swf". An absolute path would be "C:\Documents and Settings\SomeGuy\Desktop\images\something.swf".

Just a thought.

Are you using relative or absolute paths?

A relative path would be something like "./images/something.swf". An absolute path would be "C:\Documents and Settings\SomeGuy\Desktop\images\something.swf".

Just a thought.

Just tried that. No joy. I can't understand it. On the web page I upload I no longer even get a flash place holder. Just a blank page. I'll have to call godaddy and see if there is a specific order this should be in. I also may need to add some stuff to tell the browser to go get the flash plugin but most people already have the plugin.

Make sure you have the plugin before doing anything else. Also, don't allow GoDaddy to charge you out the crapper to fix something like this. I guarantee it's something easy and small that's being overlooked.

First of all, verify that your .swf is in fact accessible from a browser. You should be able to point a browser to http://example.com/images/your_flash_file.swf ([replace example.com with your site's domain name] given what you said above.) If the file is there and you have the flash plugin, the flash movie should play directly in the browser window. It may be incorrectly scaled, but it should be there.

Once you're sure the above works, view source of the page you're trying to display it in. Be sure that the url to the .swf in your <object> code is the same as the one you tried above, minus the "http://example.com" bit. (e.g. '/images/your_flash_file.swf'). The slash at the start is important. You can use the whole URL, but it might lead to issues when testing or if your site URL ever changes.

Last edited:
Back