• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling Processing Cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillerNuma123

Registered
I'm doing an experiment where I need to be able to kill cores of the processor I have. I'm benchmarking it at each number of cores (1-6). The processor I am using is the new AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition. I have no idea how to disable cores. I also would like suggestions for benchmarks to use in the testing. Any help?

You should be able to disable each one individually in bios. I can't explain the step by step to it since each motherboard is a bit different, but it will be located in the overclocking area.

Or you can type "msconfig" in the run area for windows, click on the 2nd tab, go advanced, top left hand side you should see number of cores and an option to select 1-6. You can manually choose how many cores you want running when windows starts.

You should be able to disable each one individually in bios. I can't explain the step by step to it since each motherboard is a bit different, but it will be located in the overclocking area.

Or you can type "msconfig" in the run area for windows, click on the 2nd tab, go advanced, top left hand side you should see number of cores and an option to select 1-6. You can manually choose how many cores you want running when windows starts.

Thanks a lot, I'll try it! Any Ideas for benchmarking software that will show a clear difference with different numbers of cores?

Marshmallow in msconfig it lets you change the number of processors, not the number of cores.

Marshmallow in msconfig it lets you change the number of processors, not the number of cores.
Have you tried using it? I believe in Windows "processor" = "core". Don't you have options for 1-6? ;)

Any Ideas for benchmarking software that will show a clear difference with different numbers of cores?
WPrime, if I remember right, is very core dependent. PCMark, I think, at least some of the sub-sections. Same with SiSandra.

Most video benches (3DMark, Cinebench, and I can't remember the other popular benchmark) will also show differences with more cores.

Have you tried using it? I believe in Windows "processor" = "core". Don't you have options for 1-6? ;)

WPrime, if I remember right, is very core dependent. PCMark, I think, at least some of the sub-sections. Same with SiSandra.

Most video benches (3DMark, Cinebench, and I can't remember the other popular benchmark) will also show differences with more cores.

I don't think that processors means the same as cores in windows, because it is by default on 1, and my processor is running with all 6 cores active.

I don't think that processors means the same as cores in windows, because it is by default on 1, and my processor is running with all 6 cores active.

It shows 1 when the checkbox is not checked. Check the check box, set it to a number lower than 6, restart and check task manager (the performance tab has a graph for each core or processor). Windows doesn't distinguish between actual processors and cores as far as I know.

Back