• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5850 flickering w/10.12 drivers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wickedout

Hi guy's and gal's! Here's the deal or issue. Ever since I downloaded the latest dirvers from ATI I get flickering from cold boot. Even running at idle for long periods of time the flickering just shows up. I'm only using one monitor too!

I made sure I had all my cables connected properly as well. I read on some other forums that some other people have been having the same issue. I contacted XFX for support and have not heard back from them yet.

What do you guy's think it is? Thanks everyone!! :)

I just went back to the old faithful 10.9 driver. 10.12 drivers are driving me nuts with the flickering on my screen. I might jump ship and go back to Nvidia.

I haven't upgraded past 10.10 since I haven't seen anything but mixed reviews.. or more going towards the negative.. though my card is crappier :p

Took out my 5850. Sending it back next week to XFX. Hopefully they'll send me something better in return. Hoping actual working drivers. I'll probably end up selling it down the road.

Is your flickering like the screen goes blank for a second then comes back? I am getting that problem starting the other day since upgrading to the 10.12's, but it is just happening just with my center monitor. Sometimes it happens once every ten minutes and other times 2-3 times a minute. I thought it might be my cables, but I tried different ones and the only piece I cannot replace is the mini diplayport adapter since I only have one of those.

I just went back to the old faithful 10.9 driver. 10.12 drivers are driving me nuts with the flickering on my screen. I might jump ship and go back to Nvidia.

You basically just described only problem with ATI/AMD. I'm running 3 24" LP2465s and the most stable drivers I've encountered was 10.9. I feel that I get a bit more performance with the newest drivers, but I have had nothing but problems with getting my card to run without any screen flickers -- the work around is running catalyst with Overdrive OFF. It's becoming so ridiculous that I am considering selling my 5850 and getting a gtx570. I just would like for once having a card work out of box as advertised.

I am probably going to try flashing the bios so the voltage issue while in 2d mode goes away. At the same time it will allow me to OC much easier. (my XFX Black bumps up to 925/1200 with stock voltages).

>>wickedout: You can turn ati overdrive off and run MSI's afterburn software to control the fan and clockspeeds. It's ****e imo that AMD cannot fix this simple driver issue.

I had the flickering too with my 4890, usually as soon as I touched the memory clock it would do it. I hated that card.

I got flickering with drivers 10.10 and up. I went back to 10.9 also. Very dissappointing.

What's crazy as soon as I put in my EVGA GTS 260 it as worked fine. No flickering! XFX told me it's because of my memory on my board. Their wrong and won't face the facts. My memory is working with no issues. I thought it was my cables or monitor as well. But it wasn't it. It's those junkie ATI drivers.

Time to invest in a new GPU this spring.

Update on my 5850. It's being sent back to XFX. What should I expect from them in return? I'm hoping a new card. We'll see what happens!

Just wanted to let you know where am at with this issue. Hopefully XFX hooks me up, so I can put this behind me.

Today I sent my 5850 back to XFX. I'll just have to wait it out and see what happens I guess. Wish me and my card good luck.

I have OC'd my 5970 and have 2 monitors and received "flickering" on the second monitor with 10.12.
I rolled back to 10.10 and no longer experience this.
The "flickering" involved horizontal portions of the 2nd monitor going to black (large black bands) and then back to the previous content being displayed. This happened from games, certain websites, etc.
I have no problems with using the 10.10 drivers.

I tried drivers from 10.7 through 10.12 and nothing but flickering during cold boot and while web surfing. Very annoying. I've told XFX this as well. Everything in my rig is up to date and working great. Now it's time to see how great their customer service really is. Crossing my fingers they take care of my card and me!!

I'm hoping my experience with XFX is a good one.

10.12 drivers suck D*ck! went back to 10.10 so much better! dont even waste your time with 10.12 drivers.

XFX update for my 5850

Here's the email from one of their technicians.

"We’ve done extensive testing on the product you’ve sent in for RMA and have not been able to find an issue with it so far. To help you continue troubleshooting we will go ahead and replace this unit for you anyway. If you receive the replacement and are still having issues in the same fashion as previous then I would recommend looking at the other parts in your system as possible causes."

It's being replaced with another card. Not sure which card they're be sending. I expressed that I was currently running EVGA/Nvidia GPU and let them know I've had no issues running that card. My rig is in top notch shape. I checked everything with my current parts and it all came back in great shape. It's ATI/AMD's issue. I'm a stickler when it comes to my rig.

Just wanted to share my update with all of you. :)

Today I got my replacement GPU from XFX. It looks like this one from NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477

I'm wondering if this card is any better then what I had. I'm a bit sketchy about installing it right now. My little EVGA GPU is working great at the moment. I don't see any reason to change them out.

Just wanted to update you guys on what was going on! Thanks! :blah: :blah: :blah:

Back