• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st ati card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amer1337

so i got my 1st ati card. its an xfx 6850. 1st things first the card didnt fit correctly into my pc. the holes on the bracket didnt line up right with the pci slot covers/retainers so i had to bend the top of them out slightly to screw it in.

Ever since i installed it every few hours my computer completely locks up, and plays a repeated stuck sound thru the headphones.

Im assuming its related to the card since thats the only thing ive changed, is this a common issue with a fix? im not overclocked at all right now and its still doing this.

What drivers do you have installed? If it's the 10.12s... try the 10.12a... I found the 10.12s to be particular poor, got random lock ups when i was just surfing the web...

so i got my 1st ati card. its an xfx 6850. 1st things first the card didnt fit correctly into my pc. the holes on the bracket didnt line up right with the pci slot covers/retainers so i had to bend the top of them out slightly to screw it in.
That is not possible. If your motherboard is mounted correctly your cards can not 'not line up'. It's just not something that happens. Everything is designed to a certain spec.

Thats the thing I hate about these ATI/AMD drivers. The new ones aren't always better. If my computer is running fine I usually don't upgrade the GPU driver when new ones are released.:-/:screwy:

That is not possible. If your motherboard is mounted correctly your cards can not 'not line up'. It's just not something that happens. Everything is designed to a certain spec.

i have two nvidia 8800series cards which fit no problem. ive put one or two other nvidia cards in previously to test them without any fitment issues either but this ati card seems just 2 or 3 mm away from the hole. nothings hitting anything on the motherboard theres ample clearance around the card. it works just doesnt seem to fit right.

thank you for the driver recommendation ill try those tonight when i get home and see if they help :)

Ever since i installed it every few hours my computer completely locks up, and plays a repeated stuck sound thru the headphones.

Im assuming its related to the card since thats the only thing ive changed, is this a common issue with a fix? im not overclocked at all right now and its still doing this.

In the past, I saw lock ups, because of ATI cards appearing to pull too much power and causing the system to black out when IDE drives were accessed!

If the device isn't properly seated in the Pci-e slot,that will cause lock ups most certainly. Re-seat the card.

i have two nvidia 8800series cards which fit no problem. ive put one or two other nvidia cards in previously to test them without any fitment issues either but this ati card seems just 2 or 3 mm away from the hole. nothings hitting anything on the motherboard theres ample clearance around the card. it works just doesnt seem to fit right.

thank you for the driver recommendation ill try those tonight when i get home and see if they help :)

I think the card must have been mis seated. All Cards use the same bracket system They never don't fit.

i have the rocketfish case from bestbuy that was a rebadged lian li. it doesnt seem to lock up on a consistent basis like when im playing a game or anything since its happened when im browsing the internet and even when its not being used at all. i reseated the card a few times to be sure it wasnt getting in the way of anything to cause the bracket to not line up.

manufacture error/defect? have you tried it in another computer? it might just be a bad card. iv only owned 1 ati card in my life and it was in a pre built computer

I have also had problems with the way some cards fit. Remove one card that fit good but died then installed a new card but the fit was not to good. Was like the card was forward just a little to much. It fit relly tight. Worked fine too. I guessing it's just manufacturing tolerances comening into play. Motherboard is in the big side of the tolerance and the card is also on the big side of the tolerance and you get a tight fit to the case that might have been on the small side of the tolerance.

tried the new drivers and i didnt have any issues till today. locked up twice within a few hours. everything freezes and the sound stutters indefinately.

Back