• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose a router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

I looked around my workspace and realized that I had everything I need for another mATX rig except for a motherboard, RAM and another copy of Win7 64. I have a 740BE that I've been dying to play with, case, 8800GTS 320, spare hard drive, power supply, optical burner, card reader, keyboard, mouse and monitor. Looks like I can pick up a Gigabyte 880 mATX board for under $100 and another set of memory for less than that (or maybe I'll pick up an eight gig kit for my main rig and switch my sig memory into the new one).

So now I'm at a loss. I've never messed with networking before, and my sig rig only has one network plug on the back so I can't hook the two computers in line to my cable modem.

What exactly do I need to connect two computers to my cable modem? Will this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

I don't want or need wireless at this time. It would be nice to be able to use my single Canon printer with both computers. My printer does have wifi, but it would be cool if I could use the router or whatever to print from both rigs.

Any help is, as always, much appreciated.

Last edited:
I just looked at that one on Newegg. That thing is badass! Looks like it will do everything I need and more. Only problem is the price; it defeats the purpose of my low-budget spare computer creation.

Will the one I linked above get me by until I could afford the 3700? I really don't even need the printer requirement I listed in my opening post, it would just be a nice bonus. I really just need both rigs to have broadband access 24/7 for Rosetta.

The trendnet one you mention will work, but I would splash for a Cisco wireless router and then disable the wireless in it and run off wired network, that way if you later buy a wireless device you can switch it b ack on again.

Back