• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External HD issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigben6

Have a 300GB external, trying to copy stuff over for the next build, one file, ONLY one file wont go over, its a big one (14gb) but i have like 200Gb free space still, i have googled alot and it says fat32 wont accept anything over 4 gig, and to convert to NTSF or something, is this legit, cause i got that info from really cheese help sites, thoughts? How to links? Risks?

It is legit, the maximum file size for FAT32 is 4GB (minus 1 byte technically source 1 source 2). I have in the past succesfully converted a partition form FAT32 to NTFS, however I would backup the files or move the back to their original location and reformat the drive NTFS just to be safe. Should have no problems then, the max file size for NTFS is 16TB (minus 64KB) :thup:.

I am currently copying everything back to my COMP, ill format to NTSF then rewrite it for after the build... it like 1 hour to write all this haha

Back