• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good Nvidia/AMD comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't know if this has been posted,I didn't see it but thought it was a good read..
Seems Nvidia still holds the edge in Folding over AMD.
I was hoping the new 6000 series would close the gap more than it has..

I think a big part of it is support from Nvidia vs. AMD. Back when AMD (ATI) was Folding and Nvidia wasn't, Nvidia had some people posting on the F@h forums as they got things working with CUDA. They responded quickly to complaints and bugs, updated drivers quickly to make the changes, and really got Nvidia hardware going well. Nvidia is now several generation past where they were, and just keep building on that.

I know there is some work going on to get AMD/ATI stuff Folding better, and maybe the v7 client will incorporate some of that, but I really haven't been following it, since I only have Nvidia hardware.

I think a big part of it is support from Nvidia vs. AMD. Back when AMD (ATI) was Folding and Nvidia wasn't, Nvidia had some people posting on the F@h forums as they got things working with CUDA. They responded quickly to complaints and bugs, updated drivers quickly to make the changes, and really got Nvidia hardware going well. Nvidia is now several generation past where they were, and just keep building on that.

I know there is some work going on to get AMD/ATI stuff Folding better, and maybe the v7 client will incorporate some of that, but I really haven't been following it, since I only have Nvidia hardware.

I really hope v7 makes the difference,nice to have competition;)

v7 should see the move to openCL for Ati/Nvidia (Not fully sure about Nvidia client). With that we *should* see a lot of improvement. The main think is right now the ATI client is written with CAL, which never really took of like CUDA, and AMD has bounced around a little and pushed a few different aspects (Stream+, Brooke+, CTM, etc). Now they've settled and are pushing openCL, which means we should get good support from them, good cross-platform support and hopefully some nice ppd.

Back