• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard wiring an entire house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

My home is approximately 2200 square feet. I need to wire 10 rooms with cat6 cables.

So I have a few questions.

1. Is there a good one stop spot to get all the supplies and tools that I need? Cables, connectors, panels, testing tools, and anything else that I will need to do this job.

I went to my local Home Depot and they want $300 for a roll of 1000'. I did a quick search on the net and the cheapest I found was $70 shipped for 1000'. Is there a huge difference in quality?

2. I'd like to pick up a new wireless n router and at a minimum 10 port switch to work with it. I don't think I'll ever need more than 15 ports. So anything between 10 and 15 will work fine. I don't know if there is a wireless N router out there with 10 ports, but that would be great if there is.

Thanks

My home is approximately 2200 square feet. I need to wire 10 rooms with cat6 cables.

So I have a few questions.

1. Is there a good one stop spot to get all the supplies and tools that I need? Cables, connectors, panels, testing tools, and anything else that I will need to do this job.

I went to my local and they want $300 for a roll of 1000'. I did a quick search on the net and the cheapest I found was $70 shipped for 1000'. Is there a huge difference in quality?

2. I'd like to pick up a new wireless n router and at a minimum 10 port switch to work with it. I don't think I'll ever need more than 15 ports. So anything between 10 and 15 will work fine. I don't know if there is a wireless N router out there with 10 ports, but that would be great if there is.

Thanks

What type of cable are you getting quoted for at HD compared to the other place? Are they the same? I'd say go Cat6 minimum as Cat5e is good for 300ft approx but if you're going to do it, do it once and stick with Cat6.

As for router, I'd recommend you get yourself a separate 16port switch to connect all your PC's into. The only traffic that would leave the switch would be traffic leaving your network then, and all connections would enjoy gigabit speeds on the LAN.

What type of cable are you getting quoted for at HD compared to the other place? Are they the same? I'd say go Cat6 minimum as Cat5e is good for 300ft approx but if you're going to do it, do it once and stick with Cat6.

As for router, I'd recommend you get yourself a separate 16port switch to connect all your PC's into. The only traffic that would leave the switch would be traffic leaving your network then, and all connections would enjoy gigabit speeds on the LAN.

Yeah, that.

When we ran some Cat 5 in my house, we didn't get ganked on the cable or connector price at Home Depot as I recall. But your mileage may vary.

Currently, we have:
* Actiontek router (Verizon made me do it) which connects to:
-* Linksys Wireless-N access point (actually located centrally in the house next to an Ethernet port)
-* 16-port Linksys ethernet switch

This setup works pretty well and we have very strong, uniform wireless signal too.

Your local jurisdiction may have laws prohibiting the running of certain types of cable (really, it's the cable jackets that are the problem) in certain areas. It would be a good idea to make sure that what you're doing is in compliance with codes. (In particular, my area has building codes that mandate certain fire resistance or non-toxic cable jackets. Your mileage may vary.)

Yes, I'll be getting cat6. It is a must.

When I went to HD today they only had one selection of cat6. It was 1000' for $300. As I took a look at monoprice, there seems to be 3 different kinds of cat6.

UTP Solid Cables
UTP Stranded Cables
Plenum Solid Cables

Appox. $100 for the UTP and $250 for the Plenum.

There is a little bit of a price difference. I didn't win the mega million tonight, but I also don't what to do this again. So what's the difference between these 3 cat6 cables?

Solid cables have solid copper wires in them. They aren't as durable and can break if you bend them too often. Stranded basically "solves" this issues unless you bend them at extreme angles. Since you are putting them in a wall and not moving them, I'd suggest solid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_wire#Solid_versus_stranded

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Regarding plenum cables:
Plenum cable is jacketed with a fire retardant plastic jacket of either a low-smoke polyvinyl chloride (PVC) {patented 1987} or a fluorinated ethylene polymer (FEP). All materials intended for use on wire and cables to be placed in plenum spaces are designed to meet rigorous fire safety test standards in accordance with NFPA 262 and outlined in NFPA 90A.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_cable

Basically, it is a safety thing. Plenum cable is made for running through air ducts, where items can easily get fresh oxygen to burn. Whether you get this is up to your fire code laws or personal wants. If law requires it, you don't really have a choice.

I would run Cat6. Get it off the interweb; or go to a local electrician and see what kind of deal he can get on 1,000 ft. for you. Sweet talk him a bit :).

I would run a 24 or 48 port switch so your LAN is very quick. File transfers on the network will be screaming! Then, out of the switch run a wireless N router of your choice.

That would be the most ideal setup that would yield the most options down the road.

Hope my opinion helps :thup:

In addition to what Thideras said:

You typically want solid cables for in wall since its cheaper and there is no risk of it breaking since you install it once and never fiddle with it again.

There are multiple different plenum/fire ratings on cable ranging from "wow that burns like a tourch" to it burns slowly but toxic to it burns slowly and the fumes won't kill you. You should consult an electrician since they will know your local laws. It might not hurt to check with your home owners insurance also -- if you do something out of code and its found to have helped in burning your house down you may have difficulty filing a claim.

...You should consult an electrician since they will know your local laws....

+1, as in some jurisdictions, you need a permit to do some types of construction/building. Plus they may be able to point out things that we wouldn't consider that could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
-Drew

Regarding plenum cables:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_cable

Basically, it is a safety thing. Plenum cable is made for running through air ducts, where items can easily get fresh oxygen to burn. Whether you get this is up to your fire code laws or personal wants. If law requires it, you don't really have a choice.

Yes...I, being a safety tinfoil hat (and someone who has a fear of poison gas due to fires) used plenum cables. Compliance overkill!

Do you already have conduits behind the walls? or are you installing that too? Many older houses don't have conduit, sadly, but it's SO USEFUL once it's in place although it's a much heftier undertaking.

Yes...I, being a safety tinfoil hat (and someone who has a fear of poison gas due to fires) used plenum cables. Compliance overkill!

never hurts to be on the safe side, i would rather wire it with Plenum than to wire it up and be told to do it again because it was not up to code.

just a FYI cat6 is a pain to run i've never liked it :chair: 5e is so much easier.

Back