• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MB recommandation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kakin

Getting a Phenom X4 965 or X6 1055T. Looking at around $60 to $90 Asus or Gigabyte with DDR3 memory that I knew well from before. Can take other brands if its a good brand. Is USB3 essential too? Thank You!

Last edited:
I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything reasonable at that price range, at least one with a newer generation chipsets. All 890FX chipsets are well over $100 with Biostar TA890FXA being a solid option at around $150.
Might find something under $100 in the 890GX, but no Asus or Gigabyte unless you're going for some open-box deals.
That pretty much leaves you with the 880G chipset boards, where there are quite a few solid options for a sub-$100 board.

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 would be good choice, I think.

Although if I were to choose, I'd rather get the 965 and a better Mb instead of a 1055 with a cheap MB. At least a GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H or better yet a GX or FX board. Although that actually depends on what you will be using your PC for.

EDIT:
As far as USB3/SATA3 go, they're rather nice to have. Most newer boards have them anyway and you get a bit of future proofing. Unless you plan to upgrade in under a year, those could be skipped I guess.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

Getting a Phenom X4 965 or X6 1055T. Looking at around $60 to $90 Asus or Gigabyte with DDR3 memory that I knew well from before. Can take other brands if its a good brand. Is USB3 essential too? Thank You!
Are you planning on overclocking?

What will you be doing mostly (pick one) - everyday/multitasking? games? video editing?

I am planning to multitasking and little on gaming, no video editing at all.

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 seens like a good MB. What will the safest OC for this motherboard for a x4 965?

How good is the 890 chipset comparing to 880? Sorry, don't have time to read that much detail.

The safest OC is no OC. That being said, it's heat and voltage that kills a CPU so your heatsinks are as important as the board's chipset (and, indirectly, its power circuitry). If you're only going for a mild overclock with a stock heatsink the board choice won't matter much.

Down to 2 boards:

BIOSTAR TA890FXE $127 with 890 chipset
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 $99 with rebates with hell of a nice spec

Any suggestions? go with the better chipset or nice spec????

Can anyone give me a link with the 890 and 880 chipset comparision?? Thanks!

Last edited:
There's virtually no difference between 880 and 890, at least in terms of performance. All 890 really offers is a marginally better IGP (HD4290) which, if I recall correctly is about 5fps better than 4250.
I don't have the links at the moment and a bit too lazy to look them up again, but in some reviews they've pitted 890GX against 880G, 790FX and 785G with the results showing little to no difference. In fact, in most of them 790FX still came out on top.

In your case, I guess I'd go with the Biostar. Not because it has the 890 chipset but because the board has been pretty well received and is being recommended by quite a few people from OCF as well.

Down to 2 boards:

BIOSTAR TA890FXE $127 with 890 chipset
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 $99 with rebates with hell of a nice spec

Any suggestions? go with the better chipset or nice spec????

Can anyone give me a link with the 890 and 880 chipset comparision?? Thanks!
It's not so much the chipsets themselves but the rest of the board. Functionally, the FX can run video cards in true x16/x16 Crossfire and is a little faster at other tasks but nothing dramatic. The quality of the other parts on the board should be slightly better with the Biostar but that's hard to predict. The Biostar has had very good results by several on this site and elsewhere.

If you're going with the X4 you might consider the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO. It's an older chipset and board but has been used by a few here with very good results. Not sure I would trust it to OC an X6 since it wasn't really built for it but if you're going with the 965BE it should serve you well and doesn't cost a mint.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3131402&cm_re=M4A79XTD-_-13-131-402-_-Product

PS
Did a little checking and it seems to be handling the X6's with ease as well! I was thinking of another board.

I'd recommend the M4A79XTD if you want to save some money and don't care about USB3. :)

Last edited:
Back