• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm rad in 3 5.25" drive bays

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

Possible?

I can fit a 120mm fan in there, but would be good place to mount a 120mm rad.

Am away from my pc at the mo, but if it is possible I will get one ordered so I can tinker when home :)

Case is a CM690-II :thup:

Yeah my only worry is the fittings etc - most rads are slightly larger than a 120 fan so that the fittings can connect - that will be my issue :(

I just measured my CM690-II Adv. and you wont be able to fit a 1x120mm rad in 3x5.25 bays. You need to use all 4 of them to make it happen, because of the fittings. For radiator size I took the numbers from the XSPC RX120-D, and it's 162mm in hight, and there is only 127-128mm in 3 5.25 slots. There is only very little space above the top slot, only about 10mm, so you are still around 20mm short. Maybe you can find a smaller rad than the XSPC, but I doubt it can be found much smaller than that, and still be a decent rad.

Hope that helps you out :)

it took me 9 hdd bays and the very bottom of an optical drive for a 120.3 if that helps.

Thanks wega!

Looks like I will use that as an intake and then add the radiator to the exhaust mount.

It is going to be tight up by the exhaust port though:
IMG_0262.jpg

May have to mount it outside the case, and then use the tubing holes in the case to get the tubing back inside.

What are you gonna use that little rad for, if I may ask? :)

Also, you have mounted your CPU block 90c different than me... I wonder whats the "right" way?

The right way only entails the input being on the left (with the text being normally oriented) and the outlet on the right.

The right way only entails the input being on the left (with the text being normally oriented) and the outlet on the right.

I got that :) Just wondering if there was any difference if i turned my block 90c around... :-/

The small rad is just to add some extra "raddage" to the system and possible lower temps - nothing special, although I may be adding a second GTX460 so any extra cooling capacity is welcome :)

As for the rotation of the block, I have an AMD, you have an Intel (well from your signature you do). The socket is rotated on an AMD, so it has to be mounted that way. I think the Intel mounting gets the best flow (although I am possibly wrong, it has been known on many occasions...). Also it looks nicer on an Intel system as the wording is the right way.

How do you find the bigger EK pump? where abouts in the case do you have it mounted?

Are you running a full 9 fans on your Mo-Ra 3 - can you link me to your piccies (if any) as would be good to see your system as it is similar to how I may end up :)

The small rad is just to add some extra "raddage" to the system and possible lower temps - nothing special, although I may be adding a second GTX460 so any extra cooling capacity is welcome :)

As for the rotation of the block, I have an AMD, you have an Intel (well from your signature you do). The socket is rotated on an AMD, so it has to be mounted that way. I think the Intel mounting gets the best flow (although I am possibly wrong, it has been known on many occasions...). Also it looks nicer on an Intel system as the wording is the right way.

How do you find the bigger EK pump? where abouts in the case do you have it mounted?

Are you running a full 9 fans on your Mo-Ra 3 - can you link me to your piccies (if any) as would be good to see your system as it is similar to how I may end up :)

I like the bigger EK pump :D Just upgraded a couple of weeks ago, and it's doing great, moving much more water than my old pump. I have it mounted on the floor of the case, or more correctly: It's standing in there, as I havent mounted it yet. :)

I'm running 17 fans on the Mo-Ra, just missing one for a full push/pull setup :attn: It's standing right next to my case and blowing at full force onto the case, as I've taken the side off. Thats 1200+CFM when I'm running at full speed on the fans :D

I'll see if I can take a new shot for you soon :)

I was browsing performance-pcs and found this and it might help in your rad placement. I would probably just make some to save some cash but the idea seems sound.

brackets

Nice spot!

I may be able to mount one so that the fittings are underneath the 5.25 bay floor, so that they run across the top of the 3.5 drive bays... am home later tonight, will have a look.

Allright, got some snapshorts for you then. I'm gonna rebuild my setyp next week as i just bought a Test bench, and I'll be sure to take some better pics of that :)

Here is how it's normally running. All the fans sucking air from the front of my monitor, and then blowing into the case:
OC01.jpg

I moved the rad out a bit, so you could get a peek inside. Nothing special and a bit of a mess. I'm not very much about the looks, I'm more into the performance :D Also note the one missing fan on the rad :rofl:
OC02.jpg

The front of the case, with the really great Lamptron FC5 fan controller. One of the few controllers able to handle that many fans. All my case fans are also controlled by the Lamptron.
Please note the far right temp on the controller, thats my rad-in temp :cool:
OC03.jpg

And at last an overall shot of both. Please note the ambient temp showed on the digital thermostat in the lower left corner. Now compare that temp to the rad-in temp from the previous picture. Thats not even my real DT, as that should be measured by ambient temp and rad-out. And this is with full load on both GPU's and the CPU, folding non-stop for over 24 hours :D I love my Mo-Ra3 :thup:
OC04.jpg

Last edited:
The socket is rotated????? Are you sure that hold-down plate can't be turned 90? Not all CPU blocks are square but many of them are and hold-down plates are usually just bolted to the block. If that's the case with this one then shame on EK for assembling it that way.

Back