• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer keeps freezing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tehaznxboi

Registered
hey guys, for the past week now my computer just starts crashing for no reason, i believe its a bluescreen but as i wait, no screen come up. it happens whenever i turn on my computer and load something big quickly such as starcraft 2, or even if i do let my computer load, it happens. first my mouse starts skipping everywhere, then my sound starts repeating itself, then my computer just freezes and i have to manually restart it.

comp specs:
Dell studio xps 435MT
i7 920 2.67
4 gb ps3-8000 (stock, but added 4 more gb ddr3-ps3-16000 / 12800, which dropped down to 10666 because of the stock balancing out with the new)
ati radeon hd 4850

How are your temperatures (DL Realtemp).

I wonder if your PC is having trouble with the mix/match ram. Thats generally not a good idea. Any reason you need 8GB? Any reason you are not running triple channel?

temp:56 C right now, with basic stuff running, itunes, steam, vent, etc. i figured 8 gb is better than 4 , and i dont no what triple channel is.

edit: my computer only freezes when i load starcraft2, and RARELY when i do something else.

remove the new memory you installed and keep it out for the time being. then see if it still crashes, if it does, download memtest x86 and run that overnight. Also clean your computer, get a can of compressed air from walmart or radio shack then dust the CPU, chipset and the inside of your power supply.

ill try cleaning my computer but really it does get annoying. 1 thing i do notice is when it does happen, when i go to my task manager my cpu usage goes 100% then drops.

this started happening after you added the new memory upgrade? if you take those sticks out and run starcraft 2, does it still happen?

He didnt mention if it happened after the memory upgrade which would help to know. If it didnt happen after the memory did you consider it could be video card related. I have had wacky video card drivers screw up the system on specific games.

He didnt mention if it happened after the memory upgrade which would help to know. If it didnt happen after the memory did you consider it could be video card related. I have had wacky video card drivers screw up the system on specific games.

yup, take out the new memory, if it still happens, take out your video card and you your onboard card and launch starcraft, see if it still happens.

Back