• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Water cooling or Air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lutsk

Hey all, as i've read lots of reviews about the matter, I can conclude that water cooling is definetly better than air. But I want more precise info in my case.

Would it be better for me to get Thermaltake's water cooling system:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...08&cm_re=water_cooling-_-35-106-108-_-Product

or Noctua's NH-D14:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=nh-d14

The water cooling kit is 40bucks more expensive but I don't mind that if it's better value. I'm a silent PC fan so +1 for the water but what about temps?
I have never used a water cooling kit before; do we need to change the liquid regularly? (that would be a pain..) Are there any probable technical failures that could happen with that water cooling system?
I also like the tubes design from the thermaltake, would look awesome from the window case. Yes, I intend to overclock the CPU.
And most importantly, is the water cooling system i've listed of good quality?

Here's my future rig:

- HAF X
- SandyBridge i7-2600K
- Some 1155 MoBo
- OCZ Platinum XTE 3 x 2GB 1600 DDR3 6-8-6-24
- EVGA GTX 580
- OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 120GB
- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD
- Kingwin PSU Gold 850w or 1000w

Hey Lutsk :)

AFAIK, it depends on your needs/use. I know this may not be the exact answer you want, but using air/water/LN2/etc depends on each person.

What is the most important aspect to you? Cost? Go air. Noise? Water cooling. Least amount of maintenance/failure? Air. Highest OC/clock speed? LN2.

If you are doing "typical" overclocking, then I'd go with the Noctua. With the right fans, it'd be almost as silent as a water cooled system.

PS -- have fun with the new Sandy Bridge. :thup:

Edit: Not sure about the quality of the WC system you've listed. We'll have to wait for a WC expert to help us out. :)

Go with the Noctua, hands down teh winner between the 2. Thermaltake water cooled kits are total crap, with crap pumps and aluminum radiators. And the NH-D14 is a top flight high end air cooling solution. But don't get raped by newegg for it; go shop elsewhere like CrazyPC, Sidewinder Computers, or Jab-tech. Of those 3, I would go with Sidewinder because he has the best price. All 3 are good cooling vendors to deal with though.

EDIT: Didn't see you were from the great white north in Canada. That Newegg price might still be cheaper. And check at ncix.com and see what their pricing is too.

I'd go with the D14 between those two. WC kits usually aren't very good especially Thermaltake kits, but there are a couple Swiftech and XSPC kits that are good.

WC loops will need to be broken down and cleaned every so often, especially if there are any additives in the liquid since they can clog your components. There's always risks involved when WC as well; pump could fail or there could be leaks, those are unlikely though.

Back