Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Extreme Cooling
Extreme Cooling Below ambient cooling is extreme. The crazies discuss chillers, phase change, dry ice, & liquid nitrogen in here...
Forum Jump

Questions about a Kingpin pot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 03:20 PM Thread Starter   #1
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Questions about a Kingpin pot

Please take a look at this pot (Pic takes some time to load) : http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2176/salg.png

Is that pot made for DICE or LN2? And how can i see if it's for one thing or the other?
What would a fair price be for this particular pot?
Is it a good pot?
Would it be a good place to start if someone wanted to try out DICE?

You say Justin Bieber, I say Armin Van Buuren
You say Taylor Swift, I say Dj TiŽsto

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.
Wega! is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 03:35 PM   #2
Hardass

10 Year Badge

Mind if I ask why you think that is a Kingpin pot?

Old 01-09-11, 03:37 PM   #3
cold.nut

that looks like it is an original F1 (prototype). not F1EE edition though.

great pot!

"If you aren't having fun, then you're doing it wrong!"
cold.nut is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 03:41 PM Thread Starter   #4
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Hardass: He he because the sellers says it is a kingpin pot I know nothing about pot's myself, thats why I'm asking all these questions about it You dont think it's a Kingpin?

cold.nut: Ok, sounds good Is it made for DICE or LN2? Or can it be used for both?

In Trance we trust!

Benching mayhem: Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte Ep45 UD3P, QX9650, Q9550, E6300, 4x Cedar Mill's, Corsair Dominators 2000Mhz 8-9-8-24, Crucial Ballistix DDR2, Asus GTX480, XFX GTX260, Inno 8800GTX, Zotac 8800GT, Piotres CPU pot, EK Supreme HF, MCW60 Mo-Ra 3 Pro, Ek DC 4.0 and a Corsair TX750
Daily driver: Asus P5Q Pro, Q8400, OCZ PC8000, GTX460, Enzotech Sapphire, EK GTX460 full block, XSPC res/pump and a HWLabs GTX480.
Old 01-09-11, 03:46 PM   #5
Hardass

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wega! View Post
Hardass: He he because the sellers says it is a kingpin pot I know nothing about pot's myself, thats why I'm asking all these questions about it You dont think it's a Kingpin?

cold.nut: Ok, sounds good Is it made for DICE or LN2? Or can it be used for both?
I asked because I can not tell what it is by that pic. cold.nut seems to be sure so will leave it to him to answer.

Old 01-09-11, 03:57 PM   #6
Bobnova
Innocent Senior Member

I've never seen that pot before. It's half aluminum half copper, rectangular, light, and the base looks vaguely like the early F1.

I wouldn't buy it unless it is very cheap indeed.

Any pot can be used for both, but that one lacks the surface area to be good with high heat cpus on dice and the mass to be good with mid to high heat cpus on ln2.

It'll be workable for both, but better can be had.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Heatware.
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 04:00 PM   #7
ChanceCoats123
d20 in a jacket

As has been stated, I'm not quite sure what brand of pot that is. Possibly an early, early KP pot, but definitely not recent, and definitely not an F1. IIRC, from the beginning, the F1 and the F1EE have been milled from solid Cu. The only cpu pots of KP, I know of, that are Al + Cu are the Venom and the Dragon Evo.

ChanceCoats123 is online now Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 04:07 PM Thread Starter   #8
Wega!

10 Year Badge

He is asking $145 for it.

In Trance we trust!

Old 01-09-11, 04:15 PM   #9
Hardass

10 Year Badge

Quote:
He is asking $145 for it.
Our bench team members say this is one of the best DICE pots out at the moment.
http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...product_id=972

Old 01-09-11, 05:13 PM   #10
Bobnova
Innocent Senior Member

I wouldn't pay more then maybe 75 bucks for it.
I love my koolance rev2 though. It has it's issues (has a fat bottom, mostly, and the stock threaded rods are dubious at best though easily replaceable), but it can keep a 980x nice and cold so i forgive it

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Heatware.
Bobnova is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 09:23 PM   #11
ChanceCoats123
d20 in a jacket

Definitely. For that many monies, V2 all the way.

ChanceCoats123 is online now Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-09-11, 09:26 PM   #12
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

I know the F1 (pre f1ee) had F1 cut into it...but it was solid copper. this might be a prototype of that or something. Regardless, it's not a great pot and certainly not worth that amount of money for dice...might be worth it for nostalgia

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 01:12 AM Thread Starter   #13
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Ok, thanks guys I'm gonna let this one go then, unless he is willing to go down in price. Problem is that there are not very many pots for sale in EU, and I havent been able to find one sigle reseller of Koolance that also sells their pots. But I'm not in a hurry, so something else should turn up sometime

In Trance we trust!

Old 01-10-11, 08:36 AM   #14
cold.nut

you guys are right on the F1 design. however, the key word was "Prototype F1". if I recall, Vince was experimenting with Cu/Al and just plain Cu. This happened to be a Cu/Al mix.

thats my input!

"If you aren't having fun, then you're doing it wrong!"
cold.nut is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 02:41 PM   #15
Seebs
Fronting as a Mod Member

FWIW...
Neuromancer has a Gemini listed in the classies for $200... If you're planning on getting your feet wet that would definitely be a better investment.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=665255

I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova
Seebs is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 03:07 PM   #16
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Depends on how much it is to ship to Denmark.

Wega, if that shipping is cost-prohibitive, look into a Duniek or a BartX unit. They both operate out of Europe AFAIK.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 03:12 PM   #17
nzaneb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
look into a Duniek or a BartX unit.
That

!

nzaneb is offline Author Profile Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 04:34 PM Thread Starter   #18
Wega!

10 Year Badge

Shipping is a problem. I looked at the Koolance pot's but the shipping cost was just as much as the cheap pot they have.

The BartX looks like an option. With shipping I can get the Eco version for around $135, thats not too bad Just need to find a plave where i can buy DI now... Called 5 different places today, with no result

In Trance we trust!

Old 01-10-11, 04:35 PM   #19
EarthDog
Super Mutterator
Overclockers.com Editor

Quote:
Called 5 different places today, with no result
http://www.dryicedirectory.com/Countries/Denmark.htm

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-11, 04:39 PM   #20
m0r7if3r
Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official

Quote:
Shipping is a problem. I looked at the Koolance pot's but the shipping cost was just as much as the cheap pot they have.

The BartX looks like an option. With shipping I can get the Eco version for around $135, thats not too bad Just need to find a plave where i can buy DI now... Called 5 different places today, with no result
I'd recommend against buying new, fwiw. You can get better stuff for the same price if you go used (not sure if you are looking at new stuff or used stuff, just figured i'd throw it out there)

Heat
m0r7if3r is offline Author Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Extreme Cooling
Extreme Cooling Below ambient cooling is extreme. The crazies discuss chillers, phase change, dry ice, & liquid nitrogen in here...