• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte P67A-UD4 + 2600k = overclock defaults when in windows???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marcin

Hi everyone!

Made new account because I actually forgot my old details :X regular reader but I rarely post, which now shows... anyway, back to the problem.

I've finally upgraded my good old Q6600 to parts mentioned in the title, did my reading on setup and so on, but yea BIOS these days is a bit different from my old nforce so I'm not fully familiar with it yet.

The goal is to overclock my cpu to 4.5ghz, safe on air, in my case I'm watercooling it so should be even better.

In regards to my settings, used this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/4

as a guide for starters, to roughly get an idea of what I'm aiming for and in which department, so my values are currently exactly as show there.

Heres the thing - upon boot to windows both CPU-Z and simple windows computer properties both show clock at stock 3.4ghz and multiplier still at x34 with cpu voltage at 1.488.

Am I missing something? Appreciate any wisdom shared!

with eist enabled, you have to have it enabled to oc the turbo multi's, it will always downclock when not doing anything. fire up a small stress test and see if cpuz shows it to clock up while something is eating cycles.

Heres the thing - upon boot to windows both CPU-Z and simple windows computer properties both show clock at stock 3.4ghz and multiplier still at x34 with cpu voltage at 1.488
You have a 2600K running at default clock w/ the Vcore at 1.488V? I hope for the sake of your chip that's a typo.

Reducc - you're right, it was a typo... somewhat.

Wasn't my typo tho, it was old CPU-Z misreading the values. Downloaded latest CPU-Z and for comparisons sake, also installed Gigabytes Easytune to get it's readings up as well - false alarm guys - it is running at 4.5ghz with 1.284Vcore.

Windows properties still shows 3.4ghz flat white CPU-Z and Easytune both show 4.5ghz, so I'm guessing Windows displays the nominal value for this processor line instead of it's current speed, on my old Q6600 it was showing me it's current speed that's what confused me a bit at 1st. That's fine tho, I'll live with that.

I'm told I could hit 5ghz "easy" on this chip with watercooling on it, but before I dive into this, what would you recommend for the settings if you have some experience/knowledge about this cpu already?

Vcore - ??
QPI/VTT - ??
System Agent Voltage - ??
PCH Core - still auto??
CPU PLL - still auto??
DRAM - I dropped mine to 1.5 which is my memorys default

Wanted to find some information about chips that did hit the mark or passed it, and found so far a page where they hit 5.1 on Asus motherboard, so bit different settings there, they had:

Vcore - 1.45
VCCSA - 1.1
104x49 (on gigabyte 105x49 shows as 4.9 *shrug*)
CPU PLL - 1.79
VCCSA - 1.131
PCH - 1.058
VCCIO - 1.058
PCH PLL - 1.058

These values are a bit different, especially CPU PLL at 1.79 seems very high compared to anything I have displayed in my BIOS so not sure what it relates to in Gigabyte.

Copying voltages from others isn't really a good way to aproach this. Every chip is different and will require different voltages to achieve the same results, although the trends will be the same. You are going to have to go through some process to find the voltages that work for your chip.

Eventually someone will likely make a very detailed guide like this: http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/ but for sandybridge. Untill then just follow the general principals in that guide... get a stable OC, creep up the frequency until it isn't stable, add some juice to get it stable again, rinse, repeat.

You may also want to check out this thread on max voltages, although take note of many of the comments in there about how those maximums seem conservative.

Oh yea I know I can't just copy the results, it's not the 1st time I'm overclocking or anything, just been out of the loop for some time, 3-4years on same CPU, just wanted to see some rough values to get an idea what base number should I revolve around.

Noticed something interesting, maybe you guys know how to address it, I'm running at 4.6ghz in turbo, so its x46 on the multiplier - I put the computer to sleep - resume it from sleep, its back on x36...

Thank you for the links btw, will go over them tomorrow morning (midnight in here) :)

Updated to latest Bios, set things up again to 4.6ghz spec, tried sleep mode, still defaulted back to stock clock after resuming.

Updated to latest Bios, set things up again to 4.6ghz spec, tried sleep mode, still defaulted back to stock clock after resuming.

Mine does the same thing, on multiple BIOSes. I've heard others with the UD7 having the same problem, so hopefully a BIOS fix will come soon. I've tried BIOSes from F3 all the way to F7b, all have the same behavior.

I've been communicating with official Gigabyte admins regarding this issue, they asked me for descriptions of overclock, operating system, all the details in a bid to replicate this in their own environment, so I'm assuming the fix will come soon enough :)

Back