• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better fans for Noctua's NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simmoaus

Hey guys.. new to this forum.. and to OCing.

Im building a new Sandy build and want to play a little with OCing. From reading some forums ect I have made the decision to go with air and use Noctua's NH-D14. Do you guys recommend the stock fans or do you get better performance from other fans?

Also if anyone has one installed can you post a pic? Id like to see how big it is in reference to the rest of the system.

Thanks for you help.. I look forward to my new project and will likely have some more questions haha

Peace

Stock fans are great. If you're gonna replace em, replace em with something like a scythe gentle typhoon.

The stock fan setup works pretty well on the NH-D14. With that said, I got a solid 3 C decrease in max temps when I switched the stock fans out for 3-Yate Loon High fans in my testing here. But for the noise difference versus the performance difference, it wasn't worth it.

I still cannot remember who it was that did a review on the fans and I really need to take the time to find it. Anyway I have two of the D14s and am thinking after reading the review that I may give two of the Thermalright TY-140 fans a go since they are suppose to perform just a bit better but at less noise.

I don't know exactly where the thread is here. but it was bing that did the testing you are thinking of. And I trust bing's word on this too, since he knows what he talks about. :thup:

I still cannot remember who it was that did a review on the fans and I really need to take the time to find it. Anyway I have two of the D14s and am thinking after reading the review that I may give two of the Thermalright TY-140 fans a go since they are suppose to perform just a bit better but at less noise.

i have both the noctua 140mm and the thermalright ty-140. they are pretty much the same on noise and airflow, but the ty-140 costs less than half of the noctua 140mm.

great thanks for the info... just going to keep with the stock fan for now.

oh yeah the ty-140 is 4pin pwm and the noctua is not.

Last edited:
I have slapped a good number of fans on my d14. Now running with Yate Loon's just because they give me the best performance to noise ratio (but I have them on a controller and almost never have them full blast.

I was only seeing 1-2c difference with 150cfm noisy as hell Sunon fans, so decided this cooler is such a beast it doesn't matter.

I will see what happens when summer temps arrive, but as for now save yourself some $ and stick with stock (or grab the $4 yate loons).

Phenom II 955 @4GHZ.

I have slapped a good number of fans on my d14. Now running with Yate Loon's just because they give me the best performance to noise ratio (but I have them on a controller and almost never have them full blast.

I was only seeing 1-2c difference with 150cfm noisy as hell Sunon fans, so decided this cooler is such a beast it doesn't matter.

I will see what happens when summer temps arrive, but as for now save yourself some $ and stick with stock (or grab the $4 yate loons).

Phenom II 955 @4ghz.

it's not so much that it's a beast as it is that it just doesn't scale with CFM. It's a great low noise cooler, but if you're looking for bleeding edge performance with screamer fans it sorta falls behind.

Back