• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can't run RAM @ rated 1600 MHz (help?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techboy10

So I'm having a problem with my new computer (specs in sig). When I first got everything up and running I went into the bios and noticed that the default setting for DRAM frequency was Auto, which turned out to be 1333 MHz, now I knew I had 1600 MHz RAM so I changed it to DDR3-1600 and rebooted just fine. I checked CPU-Z and it was reporting my RAM as running as 800 MHz just like it should. However here the is when the problem starts:

The next time I completely shut down and turned back on my computer (not just a restart) my computer turned on and I noticed the DRAM led on the motherboard was on, then after about 5 seconds everything shuts off and then comes back on and the DRAM led is still on (and stays on) but nothing else happens (it doesn't post and nothing comes on the screen). This causes me to hold down the power button to shut it off and then turn it back on. This next time it starts up everything works fine, but when I check CPU-Z my RAM is running at 667 MHz (even though in the bios it's set to DDR3-1600).

This only seems to happen when I completely shut down the computer because while installing Windows updates I restarted many times without problem, and if I set my RAM to 1333 MHz (or Auto) in the bios this problem never happens.

Any ideas why (and how to fix it)?

Last edited:
Well I'm at work right now but I'm pretty sure its already running at like 1.5-1.51 volts. It's rating for DDR3-1600 @ 1.5v so shouldn't I be able to run it at 1600 MHz without upping the voltage? Should I just run Memtest on it?

With 8GB of RAM installed, you may need to bump VCCSA voltage (System Agent voltage) from the default of .925V

Last edited:
Well I thought I had it stable for a bit but I guess not. I tried upping the VccSA voltage from .925v to .950v to .975v to 1.00v with no luck (haven't gone any higher, but I read that its ok to go up to 1.2v?). I guess I'll try upping the actual DRAM voltage. What increments should I go up by? 0.05v?

Thanks

... or try installing the modules in DIMM slots A1 and B1, instead of slots A2 and B2 as suggested by the manual. And try leaving VCCSA voltage on Auto, and instead bump VCCIO voltage (QPI/VTT/IMC voltage) from the default of 1.053V.

Last edited:
Well it looks like I wasted about $25 getting DDR3-1600 because with my limited knowledge I cannot for the life of me get it to boot while at 1600 MHz. I've tried upping the DRAM voltage from 1.5v to 1.55v to 1.6v and even 1.65v and nothing. Also tried upping the VccSA voltage (0.925v-0.950v-0.975v-1.0v) with no success and finally set that back to auto and changed the VCCIO voltage to 1.1v and 1.15v and it still won't boot after a complete shut down.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Make sure you have your latency settings correct. @ 1600mhz those sticks are rated for for 9-9-9-24

make sure its not 7 or 8 cas (may have defaulted to something tighter than cas9 at 1333mhz)

I wouldnt go above 1.65v just to be safe.

if all settings are ok, i would try the other ram slots like redduc suggested.

Lastly if nothing works I would test one stick at a time at rated speed, cas and voltage to make sure your ram isnt bad.

Defective ram does happen from time to time though. Good luck.

What I would probably do next is post in both the Asus and G.Skill support forums...

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Edit: I just found this posted in the G.Skill forum...
ok to fix ram issue you need to upgrade to the latest bios which as of now is 1053 i think

and if you get boot issues, clear the cmos by going reset the RTC jumper, then try to enable XMP profile in BIOS that should fix ram issue with Asus p8p67 pro boards

Last edited:
Back