• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking woes X4 9850 BE - BSOD on all tests

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neebos

Registered
Hi, I posted a while ago back about help with overclocking.

I've spent some time trying to iron this out but no matter what i do i can't make it work, So let me run down everything

===============================================
Phenom 9850 Black edition CPU 2.5ghz stock

2 gigs (2x1) DC pc 6400 DDR2-800

Asus M4A785-M motherboard

===============================================

No matter what settings i try, or what i do i bluescreen on every single P95 test either instantly or 1-2 minutes in

The only test that didn't instantly bluescreen upon running Prime 95 was 2711mhz (or 220 x 12.5, With ram clocked to 333)

I did not change any voltage's because frankly i'm not sure where it is. There is nothing in the manual or bio's that seems to reflect Vcore in any shape or form. The closest thing i've seen is CPU Over-voltage and HT Overvoltage. However if i try 230x 12.5 with a + 0.0625 Cpu O-V, It will not post upon saving settings, Upon cold starting it will report CPU Over-voltage error in the post and force me to enter bios and default it.

Last edited:
Pics' in a few.

Load core temps we're around 41c before BSOD

Well i can't even get it to 2.7 now stabilly to get a screenshot of cpuz.

im litterally out of ideas.

Reset the cmos to return everything to factory default in bios. If that doesn't work, take the cmos battery out for several hours to do a deep reset.

Alright well i did that and it all reset to default. However i still don't understand the voltage settings. It says Cpu Over-Voltage: [Auto] , If i use +/- to adjust it once, it goes to 1.0000, and up by 0625 per raise. Is this Current volt's? Or is it litterally raising it by 1+ volts

I had a similar ASUS board to the one you're describing and they are not meant for OC'ing at all. The CPU Overvoltage setting on my board was rated in millivolt increments of +50, +100 and +150. You might not be able to push anything too far with it.

Make sure you set you RAM timings and voltage manually, turn off any power saving features including Q-Fan and Cool 'n' Quiet. Then I would set the cpu multi to x9, the ram divider down a notch, the HT Link multi down a notch or two, and then try increasing the bus clock until you can't get into Windows. This will allow you to find your max bus clock. My board (ASUS M3N78-VM) would only do maybe 225Mhz, you might have a similar problem.

With all the options and claims on the manual / box etc, i find it hard to believe it was never meant for OCing. If it helps at all i can post a pic of the bio's and all its OC settings

Last edited:
Alright, Just got off work, i'm about to start in on it again, I'll see how high i can get it.

ok heres my first SUCCESSFUL attempt on 2700ghz

The temps are not exact in the picture, When i let it idle for roughly 3 or 4 minutes it dropped down to 23-5c

225 x 12.0
Ram underclocked to 366
HT Link set to 1800mhz (I was BSODing every time until I did this)
CPU volt: 1.3 + 0.0675 (it was overall voltage, once i put it to 1.3 + 0.0675, I no longer had post errors)

pics as follows (and don't make fun of my backup video card =P a 460 is enroute!)

oc2g.jpg

result1b.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Ironically i just bluescreen reading your post =p

It was stable in P95 for 15 min, and stable in memtest, But while just randomly websurfing the forums i bluescreened on those settings.

I'm stumped!

I think cpuNB of 2200 is a little high for only 2.7Ghz, then again I am used to PhenomII. I would think that 2000 or 1800 would be enough, and then you wouldn't have to bump up the vcpuNB. Download ASUS PCProbe II and check your CPU voltage, neither of my ASUS boards report vCPU right in CPUZ, but they do in PC Probe.

Back