• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the heck do I change the multiplier?!?! (complete overclocking noob here)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techboy10

So I've spent the last hour getting my memory stable @ 1600 because it was being a pain in the *** and refusing to boot. I finally got that set and started to overclock the processor...but wait!! How?? :bang head

**EDIT: Well forget about getting my memory stable @ 1600, CPU-Z says its running at 1333 (well 667, but you know)...this is really pissing me off...:mad:

I'm using Asus' new EFI bios and have been following this guide: http://www.techreaction.net/2011/01/04/3-step-overclocking-guide-–-sandy-bridge-v0-1beta/ which told me that I can disable Speedstep (which in turn disables Turbo). I finally figured out that I have to keep the Intel Speedstep and Turbo enable to be able to overclock but whenever I try to change the multiplier it goes back down to 34. Then I saw this picture:

ASUS-P8P67-EVO-BIOS-2.jpg

and tried the same thing but when I change the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual, there is no Turbo Ratio option, only one to change the BCLK.

Can anyone who has sucessfully overclocked a 2500K/2600K using the new Asus boards help a complete noob out and give me step by step instructions through the new BIOS? I know all I'm gonna be doing is changing the multiplier and upping the voltage when needed, I'm only going up to probably 4 GHz right now because I only have the stock cooler.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me. I'm about ready to just forgot the entire thing and leave it at stock speed. :(

My board is probably sitting at home on my font porch waiting for me so I don't have experience with the Asus bios yet, but... have you tried firing up Prime95 or similar? The CPU will only turbo up to the higher speeds when its under load.

switch the mem profile to x.m.p.

leave the multi on the page in your pic at the default setting 34.

just below that part you see cpu power mamagement, go int othere and switch turbo multi to... 44 to start, that is where you overclock will come from. test and find stability, then slowly work it up from 44. if your luck you will hit 50.

ps, dont touch the bclk, leave it at an even 100.

Hey there!!

First- your memory is rated for 1600MHz, this doesn't mean that it is running at it though as you have experienced. memory speed is based on your bclock speed and memory multiplier (can you find these and post them here?). To overclock your CPU in general, look up the guide by MIAHALLEN for the basics... it's a long process, even for a mild overclock like yours.

Food for thought though, your bclock is probably running at 133 with a memory multiplier of x10- all you need to do to be at 1600 is change the multiplier to 12 and you're set. If you overclock though, then your memory will end up running faster than 1600. (I.e. a 150 bclock for OC will run the memory at 1800). You need to overclock your computer first, and THEN do the ram after you know where your overclock ends up.

just below that part you see cpu power mamagement, go int othere and switch turbo multi to... 44 to start, that is where you overclock will come from. test and find stability, then slowly work it up from 44. if your luck you will hit 50.

The thing is, on the page in the pic (which isn't mine), the Turbo Ratio and the row below it (how many cores to apply it to) don't appear when I set the AI Overclock Tuner to manual. The only thing it gives me the option to change is the BCLK. If I go to CPU Power management and try to change the CPU multiplier there I can't. If I type in 40 it changes it right back to 34. If I want to change the Turbo Multi, I have to do it core by core which I know isn't right. :bang head

Forget it for now. I just spent the past 30 minutes trying to get my memory stable @ 1600 MHz (again, and probably have restarted my computer 20-30 times) to no avail. I have the voltage @ 1.5v, timings @ 9-9-9-24, and have had the VccSA voltage @ .925v, .950v, .975v, and 1.00v. I've read that 1.2v is the highest I should go, but with what I've tried it always fails to boot (after I shut it down completely and turn it back on) and the DRAM LED on the motherboard stays on while it resets the RAM back to 1333 MHz. So right now I have the VccSA voltage back @ .925v and am just running the RAM @ 1333 MHz.

I quit (for now). I'll tackle it tomorrow maybe since I probably won't be going to work because of the snowstorm coming.

How come on the new 2500k-2600k you can't adjust the base multiplier and you have to go through turbo.

The old i5 750k all you had to do is adjust base multiplier.

If this is true this is a bunch of crap i don't like the turbo BS.

How come on the new 2500k-2600k you can't adjust the base multiplier and you have to go through turbo.

The old i5 750k all you had to do is adjust base multiplier.

If this is true this is a bunch of crap i don't like the turbo BS.

Base multi is locked even on the SB "K" series... overclocking is done by increasing the turbo multi... change all four turbo multis to 44 and your chip will run at 100x44 under load.

Back