• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting my old rig to good use, budget media center?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mstefanko

I finally built a new machine after 4.5 years :comp: . My old rig, is well out of date lol, but I was wondering if it would be expensive to get it to the point of being a budget media center build, or if people have any other ideas to use it for...a coffee table perhaps...

Specs:
e6400 2.13 ghz core2duo
evga 7900gs ko
4gb ddr2 667 ram
sound blaster audigy 2 platinum (vintage ;) )
gigabyte mobo, of which I can't remember the model number

It's out dated, i know, but be cool if I could make some use of it. Even if I stuck a 9800 gts to run 1080p video off my few tb worth of extra storage, i'd be happy..I believe i've read 9800 can handle 1080p..But I also know the e6400 as well as the rest of the machine may be a huge bottleneck. Any thoughts here? If i do a slight overclock on the e6400 and grab a 9800 will that be enough? Or is that a lost cause, leaving me with a hunk of metal. I can always throw linux on it, or transition it into a crap server for my apt.. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

There's people playing video games with that computer these days. You are totally ok with the hardware for 1080p. Just make sure get a card with hdmi if that's what you need.
Throwing linux there will allow you also to use xmbc which is a great media center.

Back