• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Acer Predator Crusader 2 overclocking i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intel-igence

Registered
Right guys,

I've bought a Acer predator specs:

i7 920
12gb ddr3 ram
watercooled heatsink
2TB HDD,
Nvidea Geforce 260

And I want to of course over clock it although it's fast enough.
The bios allows me to let the cpu voltage/ bus etc get changed which is quite Awesome.

I was wondering if anyone already over clocked one of these before so I can just get an idea of the voltages etc.
If not, I would need some help on where to start, I kind of get how to over clock a C2D but I understand that these i7 are completely different.

Thank you.

Yup.. that guide is where you need to start. The concepts are similar so it should be easy to pick up.

As far as voltages and such, every system is different. You also didnt mention a specific goal so we cant even venture a guess.

we can always take a stab in the dark.. but as a reference point.. even on some of the low-end motherboards and cpu cooling solutions (stock heatsink) that chip can overclock into the 3.5-3.7GHz range before heat becomes a problem. With aftermarket cooling you should be able to get most any mobo to get it into the 4GHz range, however, having 12GB of ram could hurt more than help

Well, for the cooling, it has water cooling that is originally in there inserted by acer. I am going to have to see what temps are given when stress tested for a couple of hours.

After reading that guide (thanks mokrunka) There are alot of differances between the c2d/c2q and with the i7 technology. I'm going to have to read it like 3 more times to get everything to sit in my head but it should explain everything I really need to know.

Well, for the cooling, it has water cooling that is originally in there inserted by acer. I am going to have to see what temps are given when stress tested for a couple of hours.

After reading that guide (thanks mokrunka) There are alot of differances between the c2d/c2q and with the i7 technology. I'm going to have to read it like 3 more times to get everything to sit in my head but it should explain everything I really need to know.

Yea, what you should really draw from the guide is the methodology. Be very methodical, find a method to go about finding the max base clock and stick with it. Do some googling around about reasonable temps and voltages, etc for your proc. Good luck bro!

Ok, so Ive tried 140x20 with turbo enabled. but the while stress testing it the cores reach up to 60 odd .C and I dont know if its ok or not with tha temp and doing such a minor overclock from 133.

and my i7 is a quad core but it shows that I have 8 cores?? Oct-core lol. why is this.
and I can't see turbo mode kicking in on cpu ID when it's getting stress tested, why is this?

Thanks in advance.

the i7 is a quad core, but has hyperthreading which gives you 4 physical cores (quad core) and 4 virtual cores. Essentially each physical core can mimic a 2nd virtual core thus giving you 8 threads of possible work.

Hyperthreading is good for multitasking, not very useful for gaming.. and also can increase heat by 8+ degrees per physical core.

On stock volts, technically, you should be able to keep the multi at x19 or x20 and bump the bclk up to 160-180 giving you 3.2 to 3.6GHz overclock.. as long as temps stay below 90C you're good

60C is also fine for this CPU, I would try and overclock until you reach 80-85C max under load and stop there. That way the CPU will rarely actually reach this temperature under normal usage scenarios.

The CPU won't start throttling until roughly 100C, but personally I don't like my CPU hitting 80C for too long periods of time.

60C is also fine for this CPU, I would try and overclock until you reach 80-85C max under load and stop there. That way the CPU will rarely actually reach this temperature under normal usage scenarios.

The CPU won't start throttling until roughly 100C, but personally I don't like my CPU hitting 80C for too long periods of time.

I agree, 80C is pushing my comfort zone, too. Under water, my CPU will reach 60X+, which is certainly manageable. I wouldn't worry about temps in the 60Cs

Ok, I have another problem, Acer dont allow for a change in the cpu Vcore but they have something called Dynamic CPU offset and there are "mv" characters after each number, I don't understand, but besides that point, I can get stable I think 170 Bclock with stock voltage.

Thanks to anyone who can explain this.

Hi there, new on here.
I have the Acer Predator Crusader 2 G7750
i7 950.
The problem with o/c this is in the bios as the multiplier is locked. At x23.
I have raised the FSB 133(stock) upto 169 and was stable. Then the next time I ran same settings got the blue screen.
Then went to 155 and got the blue screen. So went back to 133 and back to normal.
Not once did the temps go through the roof though.
So need to read a bit more to see what else I can do but I think the board is limiting what I can do. Shame as it was advertised as a good system to buy to o/c.

You've got to be patient with it. Did you read the guide linked above?

Also, some boards are picky about multiplier "holes", meaning that maybe a 20x multiplier may not work well, but a 19x or 21x would.

Do some reading and report back.

Ok guys!
I know this is like a year later but anyway, I have bought a Coolermaster V8 Cooler :) and a coolermaster elite 430 case. I am going to buy a new motherboard for my i7-920 which I know I can overclock good with.
Does anyone know any motherboards that are average priced that can handle the CPU pretty well? Remember with this V8 cooler I am thinking about a nice 4ghzish overclock :)

The problem with the motherboard I have (Acer branded) is that when it comes down to overclocking features its not good as it only gives you "babyish" options.

I have tried using Intel Extreme auto clocking programme but it crashes as the bios wont let you set certain values.

Help me find a motherboard people :)

P.S I have 12GB in Ram (6 x 2GBDDR3) so it must be tripple channel

I can get up to about 3.4ghz but loads are 85C which is very high for a man of my saliva.

My suggestion would be to check out the Gigabyte UD3R. I've got a slightly weird Gigabyte motherboard (the USB3) which gets my i7-950 upto 4.41GHz and I think the UD3R is slightly better. There are a few others I looked at as well, the asus sabertooth x58 and the UD5R.

85C at 3.4 GHz is incredibly hot! Is that with the new heatsink ? Something has to be wrong there.

That temp makes my brain Boil lol. Its not with the new heatsink, Its with a (stock) watercooling setup that acer gave with itm its identical to the all in one watercooled rig (so the pump,res and heatsink are in 1 big block and two plastic coated pipe thingys go the the radiator)

With this new V8 Cooler (Beasty thing!) I should not be getting that temp. I have ordered the cooler and the case from my work place and when they arrive with my new motherboard which I still have to buy, then I will go for some major overclocking business!

They sell those gigabytes at amazon for an amazing £117 ! or from my work place its £148 ! ( Click here for amazon price )

Will be ordering it unless other ones are suggested by users! Thank you mikeyw :)

Ok Just an update,

I have bought the Gigabyte Motherboard from Amazon, a CM V8 Cooler, Elite 430 Case and 2 x Green LED fans.

Anyway ... :) ... I am very excited however I have looked up videos on youtube and read that guide which was posted above and I am very confused about all this overclocking business on these boards. I do not know where to start as it seems that these gigabyte motherboards have a lot of options to change stuff which I do not know anything about.

Just one more thing (just like Columbo haha) , this is that I do not wish to Overclock my memory as I think because It is from Acer and is not something Like OCZ or PNY but rather a unbranded crap ddr3 module it will not help at all? There are no heat dissipation things on it so I doubt it will really be good with overclocking. Is there anyway to OC my CPU without OC my Memory?

Thank you peoplez

Just bought this, I know. Because I am a newbie I never realised there were differnt models, they all looked the same to me so I cancelled my old ex58 order.

Anyway, What do people mean when they say c0 and D1 i7-920 cpus? I have the D0, what's the difference ?

Sorry for being a noob.

YEEAH! I think I know how to overclock now!!! ish..

OMG! Ive got some luck O/C with this Acer predator without the new Gigabyte motherboard. The really high temps were due to not having the watercooling fan on high, infact it was on "smart", I disabled this and now its at full speed.
I have then disabled turbo and lowered the multi for the ram to 6 rather than 8.

This is what my results are so far. Stressed it with prime95 and the intel stress test thing::

Im soo happy, I cant wait until my gigabyte mobo comes and I get this monster to so 4GHZ+ !!!!!!!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/351nonturbomaxfan.png
and cpu id:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/351nonturbomaxfancpuid.png
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/205/idleb.png/

Back