• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My rig, is it stil viable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

artsnoob

Hey people what's up.

I've been looking to upgrade my system a bit, I'm soon moving into a new house, so I'm kinda low on budget.

I want your opinions on my rig still being viable for gaming for the next year or year and half. Running settings on high, for most games anyway.

What should I upgrade?

I have a;

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two. Has a nice airflow, lots of fans. Have some extra fans (2) in them as well.
Motherboard: ASUS P5G43T-M PRO (775)
Processor: Intel Q6600 (2.4 ghz quad 12mbL2 1333mhz fsb)
GPU: ASUS ENGTX260 TOP GeForce GTX 260
Memory: Corsair 4 GB DDR2-1066
HD: x2 Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Power: Cooler Master GX550

I'm worried about the CPU mostly, it being a fairly old quad now. Have experience with overclocking, should I overclock or look for a new one? Problem is I'd most likely also would have to buy a new motherboard.

My memory has been running everything fine, even though it being DDR2.

Or upgrade just the GPU, as it's mostly being used for gaming?

Just go with overclocking, or upgrade some parts?

If any of you would like to give your opinion, or advice, thanks alot.

Oh and happy new year.

My suggestion would to get an aftermarket cooler and OC that bad boy, those C2Q's go pretty high and shouldn't bottleneck many video cards.

I'd get these for now (6950, Corsair 750TX). If you order soon, you can flash the 6950 to a 6970. Note, you may or may not be able to run your system + a new graphics card with your PSU, it's cutting it close, but it may be possible.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914&cm_re=6950-_-14-102-914-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=750tx

I'd wait for Sandy Bridge E, which is the LGA2011 socket, which is the high end SB CPU's that should come out in a couple months or so. At that point you can grab some new RAM, mobo, and a CPU

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply man.

Alright that's good advice. I've been away for the last 5 months, so I've kind of missed the GPU developments. High end ATI's still best bet?

New GPU and PSU is within my budget.

Didn't see you edited it.

Ok man thanks.

Been checking reviews and benchmarks and it looks good.

Prices here in Europe, Holland to be exactly are really steep compared to US prices. Would end up around 377EU. Which is about 485 dollar. Oh well. ;p

Thanks again.

Oh and Detroit Techno is awesome. So is the Slim Shady lp. Haha.

My suggestion would to get an aftermarket cooler and OC that bad boy, those C2Q's go pretty high and shouldn't bottleneck many video cards.
It depends on what version of Q6600 he has. A GO version can get to 3.5 ghz with a top of the line air cooler but not the BE version. The best I could do with my BE was 3.4 and that as with a lot of over voltage. It wasn't worth it to me so I bought a Q9550 instead and moved the Q6600 to my sons computer.

Yea, I've had an OC'd G0 for 3 years or so now and it hasnt missed a beat and I have quite the similar setup to you. I have been able to play every video game I wanted so far at 1920x1080 with my current setup. I'd say if you got a G0, OC it, and possibly upgrade the GPU if your lookin' for more performance.

Back