• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving RAID5 array from ICH9R to P67

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
I'm looking to upgrade but DO NOT want to rebuild my 4x640GB RAID5 array at this time.

Can I safely assume I'll be able to move it from a board with an ICH9R (P35) to a P67 based board without any trouble?

Maybe someone with a P67 board could show me the System Devices in their machine's Device Manager?

Last edited:
I don't have experience with the Intel chipset, but if it gives the option to NOT initialize the array, it should work.

I would really hope you have that option... What happens to the array when that chip fails otherwise?

Has anyone found any good documentation that the ICHxR chips that are so popular? I've not been able to come up with an in depth manual, just the RST help.

I think the move from ICH9R to ICH10R would be fine.

However, these new P67 boards don't have a true south bridge. That's what concerns me. P67 appears to contain the hardware for things like PCI-E lanes as well as standard I/O like SATA ports in one chip. I can't believe though that the Intel RAID bios has changed so much that it's no longer capable of "seeing" an array built on a previous ICHx chip/bios.

My x58 system here still shows ICH10 devices. I would think there would still be something similar in the list on P67 if they are compatible.

Maybe someone with a P67 board could show me the System Devices in their machine's Device Manager?

Last edited:
Well... I guess I'm going to find out. Just picked up a 67A-UD4. I will, however, be backing up all the data on my array before attempting the move since I have enough backup drives to do it right now.

Board/Cpu will be here next week and I'll probably run it on the bench for a week or two after that before I do the actual swap into the case. Primary purpose of the CPU will be Folding and I want it tested stable before putting my raid array on it.

So, unless someone else wants to be the guinea pig... it'll likely be a few weeks or so before I come up with any results... just FYI.

It should be fine!
I've had an ICH7R chip recognize a raid array created on an ICH10R.

However, Intel likes to screw around and require a different driver version when switching boards, so you might get a BSOD....

OS will be a fresh install... so the driver won't be an issue. Again, if I knew the RAID on the P67 was based on an ICHx design I wouldn't even ask the question. But, again, with the lack of a true south bridge I definitely wonder if they haven't made a paradigm shift.

So has anyone had any experience with this working? Anything special required?

Back