• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a CPU shim necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I'm about to build a computer, and one of my friends suggested that I use a CPU shim to probject the die of the CPU from the heat sink.

Do you think that its necessary and worth it?

Yes it will help protect the cpu. This comes at the expense of a few degrees temperature.(I do not have personal experience with a shim). If you are worried about the cpu then use the shim. It is not needed. Just take your time and be carefull and you should do just fine.

Is it a big risk without the shim? Do you suggest using one? When you say careful, do you mean...like...sensible (and not being stupid) careful? How sensitive is the die of the CPU that it would get ruined? Thanks!

Garfield

If you are worried about it you can use a shim. I did not and I have reinstalled my heatsink several times with no problems. By being carefull I mean slow and methodical. When installing don't rock the HSF back and forth on the die. And be patient and take your time. If you get frustrated then take a break and come back to it. That is the best advice I can give.

Yeah, I think I'll go without it then. You're right, if I do get frustrated (at any point of building the computer), I'd best just walk away.

You are supposed to put the processor in the Socket (A, right?), then put the heatsink on the CPU, and then put the motherboard in the casing, right (there might be a couple of other things to do in between those three things, but they are alone in chronological order, right?)? Thanks!

I wouldn't suggest it really. IF you have problems installing a heatsink get someone to help you. Trust me if you are becareful threw the install you'll have no problems.

Since I see your install a Swiftech make sure that you make sure no resistors or anything is popping out of the mobo where you screw down the nut and bolt etc.

Don't slam the heatsink on put it on slowly and tighten it where, it needs more pressure to be turned harder.

Seeing how you are making a new computer shine the motherboard into possibly a white light see if you see any gaps. If you don't good, continue.

Shim are useless and just add heat.

Yodums

>> Since I see your install a Swiftech make sure that you make sure no resistors or anything is popping out of the mobo where you screw down the nut and bolt etc. <<

Are there "already made" holes in the mobo for the heatsink to screw into? I'm not sure I understand this statement you made. Could you explain in more detail?

>> Don't slam the heatsink on put it on slowly and tighten it where, it needs more pressure to be turned harder. <<

I thought you weren't supposed to put pressure. Is this wrong?

>> Seeing how you are making a new computer shine the motherboard into possibly a white light see if you see any gaps. <<

What do you mean by "gaps"? Where would they be? What would these "gaps" do and to what hardware?

Thanks, I appreciate it! :D

Garfield

I'll try to be much clearer this time and answer your questions with full clear answers.

Yes the Swiftech is being mounted using the four holes around your socket. I meant to say is turn the bolt where you don't turn it too hard where it needs alot of pressure to turn. You apply it until you need to apply lots of pressure to turn it. Make sure nothing on the motherboard like caps are in the way when you put on the nut or bolt because if it gets in the way and the nut scratches it, it may kill the mobo.

Gaps as in the heatsink not touching the CPU 100% So the heatsink is making full contact.

its kinda like is a condom necessary? if you're careful, then no its not. but if u do a messy job then it is. =X

Garfield said:
I'm about to build a computer, and one of my friends suggested that I use a CPU shim to probject the die of the CPU from the heat sink.

Do you think that its necessary and worth it?

Re: Re: Is a CPU shim necessary?

ToeKneeATX said:
its kinda like is a condom necessary? if you're careful, then no its not. but if u do a messy job then it is. =X

GRRRRRR bad analogy...

I have yet to use a shim... I have crunched 3 cores one cel600 with a Gorb (I was messing around, I didnt think it could do taht type of damage to the die!) another with a delta fan mod taht crunched one side of my p3 700. And the other was all my fault it was my Duron 750 taht I had reinstalled the HS on many times. I had a bad 1.2 athlon that upset me so I rushed the HS install on the Duron and broke it... but if you have read my other thread it still lives.

Yodums was right on with his explaination. But I would like to add that if you plan to move the computer around alot (IE: LANS) then you should look into a shim just to be extremely safe.

Okay, I understand now. You only put on the heat sink until you feel the pressure, and then that's enough. Thanks!

Back