• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Building LanBox/HTPC: $1000 Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patchworks

Hi, this is my first post. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if it's not please point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to build a gaming LanBox/HTPC and I'm working with $1000. I have a few things picked out but I'm totally open to suggestions.

Case: Thermaltake Black SECC Japanese steel LANBOX Lite

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200

Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

What do you think of these components? Something else you have in mind? Please suggest.

I also need help figuring out the CPU/Mobo, Sound Card, and anything else you think I might need.

Much appreciated.
Please don't cross-post in multiple forums. I deleted your other thread in the General CPUs forum. In the future if you'd like a thread moved, after realizing it would be more appropriate in a different forum, then you can just PM a mod to move it for you. Thanks... redduc900

Last edited by a moderator:
Components are fine that you have picked out. You chose 3x2gb of RAM so Id assume you want X58?

If so, go w/ a Giga x58-ud3r or Asus x58 board and a i7-950. If you werent set on x58, definitely pickup a Sandybridge CPU. i5-2500k would work perfect unless you plan on encoding movies then you may want to think about i7-2600k. Also, if you went with P55 chipset or P67 (sandybridge), youd want a dual channel DDR3 kit, not tri-channel. So youd want to go w/ 2x2gb kit of DDR3 (save a little cash as well).

Sound card? Not too up on those, but Ive heard good things about the Asus Xonar but you may want to hit up the sound section of the forum and read a bit.

Also, go with a good quality PSU. DONT cheap out on this item. Since you are looking at a lanbox, checkout the HX650. Modular and 650w would be plenty for your build. Would also allow you to get some of those pesky wires out of the box.

It's been awhile since I've built a PC and I'm not familiar with x58.. what is it exactly? The ram I chose was a good price and I want 6gb but I didn't know it was x58.

No, you can go higher, but if you want to overclock and such the more ram you have the harder it can be to get stable overclocks. Most games won't even use a full 4GB, but if you do the encoding on the htpc then you might want to look into at least 12.

g.skill 12GB 3x4GB modules @ $169

Oh ok good to know :) yeah I won't be encoding movies I don't think, just gaming and watching blue ray movies

If thats all you are doing, theres no need for over 4gb. X58 = platform for i7-9xx cpus. P55 = platform for i7-8xx and i5/i3 cpus. P67 = platform for sandybridge, i7-2xxx chips.

P55/P67 use dual channel, so its advised to use them in 2/4 sticks to get the best performance. If you think you need the ram, go w/ 2x4gb sticks on P55/P67, but doing what you are doing you really dont need over 4gb.

Back