• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 98 ScanDisk Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

I just installed a CD-RW in a friends computer and tried to run ScanDisk ... 2 hours later I got this "ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quiting some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner" Nothing is open and running as far as I can tell ... Any suggestions ???

Hey Yodums,

Thanks for the help ... Explorer, Accstat, Realplay, Msmsgs, and Rnaapp were the only things open ... No Main anything ... If you could, please tell me what should be in the Close Program box when you hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete ... I always remove anything out of the Start Menu Programs under Settings ... I was able to close everything except Explorer because it prompted me to mess with the active desktop, but upon rebooting the above mentioned programs were in the Close Programs box ... Thank you again !!!

Hookem

:D

Last edited:
boot up with your 98 floppy, and run scandisk from dos...it will be faster that way. What that error was telling you was that while scandisk was scanning your drive, you had programs running that were accessing the drive and writing to/ changing information on the drive. Scandisking from DOS eliminates this problem. Just put the 98 boot floppy in, choose minimal boot, and at the A: prompt type "scandisk c:" w/o the quotes...good luck

as a general rule, always Scandisk and ALWAYS defrag from Safe Mode. Its safer! ;)

Dos isn't a bad idea at all for scandisk.

Back