• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

double rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fatticus

hey! so i just orderd a new block and rad !:D ek supreme hf and a XSPC rx360 (3x gentle typhoons)...

my question is, should i take my old BlackIce stelth 360 rad out ? or should i just add my new rad to my loop ? my current rad is pretty crap from what ive been reading but would just simply adding the rx360 kill my flow rate ? or would it benifit me at all...im only cooling a cpu and chipset so i know that much raddage is totaly overkill..just wondering

Also last time i draind my system i saw that the tubes had a blue tinge to them(FeserOne blue UV dye), im going to be re filling my loop with distilled water this time around, will boiling water get this crap out? any one know a good tool i can use to clean out my tubing? im going to go poke around at my local hardware store for a snake like scrubbie lol...

From what I've read about that dye, once it stains your tubes you might as well replace them. Go get you some colored tubes. I like the transparent colored tubes myself. Gives you color and lets you see water moving.

With that overclock, I would personally use both rads if you can fit it. That large of an overclock on an I7 is putting out some heat, so the one 360 would be best used on it and the other, while technically overkill for a chipset, would be able to handle the rest.

Your D5 should have enough power to get the water nicely trough both rads. And yes, the more rad you add to the loop, the closer you will be able to get your water temp to ambient temps. So it does help on your water temps, and therefor is should also give you better core temps. But your CPU block will also lose some flow, but I dont think that will matter much the the EK block.

You can see here that your rad does not make that much resistance in your loop: http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx360.html?page=2
And the block you have chosen does not need that much flow to perform good: http://skinneelabs.com/ek-supreme_supremelt.html

So is it worth all the extra trouble with tubing and installation of another rad? Thats really up to you. :)

I'd say keep it in if you have the room. Tubing is ruined forever most likely. You've got the same thing going on inside your rad, so make sure you cleanit REALLY well.

Back