• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 1090T, Advice. =3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowEW

Registered
Hey there everyone, first of all I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Ellis, I've been snooping this site for.. some few years but have never made an account. =3

I've recently upgraded my Rig from an Athlon 62 x2 6000 to a Phenom II 1090T BE. (Its taken me a few years, but I'm up to date/ish :screwy:)
I'm no stranger to overclocking, so you can speak techy when needed.. =3

Ok, now for my question...:clap:

''What would you recommend as a safe overclock for my Phenom, taking into account my current Rig/setup?''

At current, I've only change the multiplier, to 18.5, giving me a stable overclock of 3.7GHz.
I've also changed the multiplier on the Turbo feature, which now boosts to 4GHz (20x).
I haven't played around with the FSB yet, but I've also increased the clockspeed of the NB & HT to 2205MHz.
Also, havent changed any of the voltages yet and have left them on automatic setup via my Gigabyte mobo.

Also I've just finished a 4 hour stress test on the current clock speeds, and I've had a max CPU temp of 40C and avg of about 38C.
Idle is around 17~20C.

cOfzf.png

Rig
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo: Gigabyte GA 790FXTA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE
Cooler: Corsair Cooling Air Series A70
PSU: Antec CP850 850W
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB GDDR5
RAM: Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 2x4GB

1st things first, have you added an offset to your coretemp values? The cpu core temps read way under on the Phenom II x6 chips. I calculated a rough offset for mine of 13°C based on idling my CPU at 800MHz and measuring CPU and ambient temps. I then took the difference and added 5° to allow for knowing that the CPU idle temp would certainly be greater than ambient, even at idle (thanks to whoever it was on here who posted the idea originally, I'd give credit if I could remember their name). I should point out that my rig is watercooled, but I'd expect a 12-14° offset to be relevant for you as well.

You're multiplier unlocked, so there's no reason you can't just raise the multiplier on its own, adding voltage as needed to keep your chip stable. You're shooting to keep the CPU temp under about 55°C (AMD safe limit is said to be 62°C). Measure the CPU temps using something like HWMonitor and you won't go wrong.

I found some benefit in running my RAM at it's rated speed (1600MHz) and overclocking my CPU-NB speeds. For a 20% increase in speed here, I got around a 15% increase in memory bandwidth, so there can be some merit in trying this. You'll need to add voltage to your CPU-NB value to keep stability if you go down this road, though.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tidbits of advice.
Currently have it now running at 4050MHz and 4275MHz Turbo.

BTW, Which temps am I supposed to be monitoring in HWMonitor =3.

Core temps or TMPIN?
Below is a quick snip of the details.

DRN1Z.png

ya first you should def figure out your temp offset, mine is 7°c cooler then ambient on hwmonitor. like fat jez said 55°c should be you MAX at this temp it starts to become unstable and will start to fail p95, and as you rais the voltage you might find it become unstable at lower temps.
I would turn QNQ and turbo off.
tempin 0 is the cpu socket temp, it gets this temp from a sensor under the cpu so basically the air under the cpu. depending on ur case ventilation this number can very from person to person. and if u run water like me these temps can get a little warmer with out that little bit of air flow some people with disagree with this but i would use the cpu core tmp this is taken from the core it self and gives some better numbers as to what the cpus temp actually is.
also depending on what you use your system for you more then likely would benefit more if you tighten the memory timings(makes a bigger difference then you may think) especially if you play games.

Hi Shadow, I am also clocking my new 1090t, but you seem to be doing slightly better. Your temps sound a bit dodgy tho, but what do I know.
Goodluck!

Nice results! But I've never heard of that stress test before.. But just because we're all used to it on here, would you mind running Prime95 or OCCT for a few hours to see what kind of temps you see? Or... if you're impatient.. you can run a small battery of tests using LinX or IntelBurnTest. If your computer restarts, or gives you an error.. most likely you need to bump up the vCore.. or possibly a few other things. What is your CPU-NB speed at? As mentioned in Dolk's guide.. there seems to be a bit of a balancing act with CPU speed and CPU-NB speed. I've noticed most people around 4Ghz are usually around 2600-2800Mhz. I sit right in between, at 2710Mhz with mine. :p

I'll do a few more tests and change a few clock speeds / volts tonight and see what I can achieve.
I have Prime95 and OCCT, but for some reason I like HeavyLoad... =/

Did bump up to 4.3GHz with a few tweaks, not very stable mind you...
Need to find a better / more suited combination of voltages I recon....

Anyway, Decided to take part in the Gigabyte AMD OC contest, currently 17th with the 1M Pi times =3

Will edit this post with some new figures.. or create a new one.. ^-^

I'll do a few more tests and change a few clock speeds / volts tonight and see what I can achieve.
I have Prime95 and OCCT, but for some reason I like HeavyLoad... =/

Did bump up to 4.3GHz with a few tweaks, not very stable mind you...
Need to find a better / more suited combination of voltages I recon....

Anyway, Decided to take part in the Gigabyte AMD OC contest, currently 17th with the 1M Pi times =3

Will edit this post with some new figures.. or create a new one.. ^-^

Yeah 4.3 is a little harder to get stable. I had to run my vCore at load to 1.51 which worked out to something like 1.48 in the bios.

So far your making great progress.

Gave it a right kicking to 4.5GHz .. But CPU-Z Validator says this is 'rejected' why? =/
And thats definately not stable BTW xD

And yes, 1.6v is probably lethal.. but, it was just a test / theory setup.. that worked.. for a few minutes.. =3

Gave it a right kicking to 4.5GHz .. But CPU-Z Validator says this is 'rejected' why? =/
And thats definately not stable BTW xD

And yes, 1.6v is probably lethal.. but, it was just a test / theory setup.. that worked.. for a few minutes.. =3

Hehe... we like to call those, suicide runs. :D
No idea why CPUz validation rejected it.. I had a similar problem before where it wouldn't validate my stable OC on my former 955BE. There are tons of suicide run validations out there, so I dunno what the deal is lol. :bang head

Hehe... we like to call those, suicide runs. :D
No idea why CPUz validation rejected it.. I had a similar problem before where it wouldn't validate my stable OC on my former 955BE. There are tons of suicide run validations out there, so I dunno what the deal is lol. :bang head

I shall forevermore name it as my suicide run.. <3 :fight:

Didn't get chance to post some screenshots of a few stress tests yesterday.. Ran out of time.. Also should be taking delivery of my new monitor (or atleast my sister will be).. Brought a BenQ 9H.L5JLB.QBE..

I'm not normally easily impressed, but upon seeing it I wanted it, nevermind reading the spec list.. Although, it does have a very good acompanying spec list =3

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...n+LED+Monitor+-+9H.L5JLB.QBE+?productId=43549

Last edited:
Back