• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UEFI vs. BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Now, from what I understand, UEFI is a replacement to old as time BIOS, and handles the way a computer starts differently. Do I have the correct idea of what UEFI is?

Assuming that's the case, what are the pro's and con's of UEFI vs. BIOS? Looking at P67 mobo's, I see some like the Gigabyte use standard BIOS, but most use UEFI. So what's the difference, and which is better? Thanks :)

You're correct, that is a good read. Right away it does list several advantages

* Ability to boot from large disks (over 2TB)
* Faster boot-up
* CPU-independent architecture
* CPU-independent drivers
* Flexible pre-OS environment, including networking support
* Modular design

But there still has to be advantages that BIOS has over UEFI.

So how about the people who have played with the UEFI P67 boards? Pluses? Minuses? Just looking for some info to help base a decision on which mobo to go with.

You're correct, that is a good read. Right away it does list several advantages

But there still has to be advantages that BIOS has over UEFI.

So how about the people who have played with the UEFI P67 boards? Pluses? Minuses? Just looking for some info to help base a decision on which mobo to go with.

no, there really doesn't. UEFI isn't an alternative, it's a technological improvement, and within the next couple of years or so you're going to see BIOS completely phased out. We've been on this cusp for years and finally we're here.

How much does UEFI decrease boot times? Since its out i'm sure someone conducted a test.

I see no difference in boot time comparing to my x58 setup. Some boards have more options in UEFI and things like simple games ( MSI ) but at least for my board ( AsRock P67 Extreme4 ) it's no difference and I wouldn't see any difference having simple BIOS. UEFI isn't anything new just now it's a bit improved.

Just wondering if UEFI makes the entity formerly known as "BIOS updates" different.

Updating the BIOS has always been a high stress affair for me, because 1 little mistake can brick your board. Seems to me that UEFI has an opportunity to end the rein of terror. An update should only affect data, not the entire interface and board. Please tell me this has finally been fixed. :chair:

All is the same except that I haven't found way to make recovery when flash fail on UEFI. Using simple AMI BIOS you could use any fdd/cd/pendrive, copy there bios file, restart and board was making auto recovery.
If anyone find way to make something like this on UEFI then please pm me.
At least for asus and asrock boards it's flashing all cmos so it's like in standard bios. When it fails then you can program EEPROM ( not many can ) or send board to RMA.

Back