• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500K Multiplier changing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I have two encoding machines that are running i5 2500k cpus overclocked to 4.5GHz.

They are overclocked simply by boosting the multiplier to 45 and voltage to 1.3v

They seem to run fine in prime95 with the multiplier staying at 45, but when other apps - folding etc, that drops to 37/38.

I have all the power saving settings off.

The board is an MSI P67A-C45.

Any ideas?

Did you run multiple threads of Prime95? Are your temperatures ok?

Slightly unrelated: there isn't much of a reason to turn off the power saving features if you don't have stability problems.

ignore me - I am being a doughnut...

...I had left Prime running in the background while I was folding, which seems to have dropped the multiplier - once I killed off prime, the multiplier jumped back up to 45 on both machines... bit odd but it seems to be ok again.

Temps are mid 60s - using a Thermaltake Frio with both fans on the low setting. Case has a single 120mm.

Possibly b/c with both its throttling...?

Thats what I thought - but it is weird and something I havent seen before.

I usually use AMD machines at home for cheapness and because I can move CPUs between a variety of machines without having to worry about motherboard capability.

The Sandybridge chips are amazing though, so simple to overclock :thup:

Will just have to monitor these though just to be sure.

Thats why I asked about temperatures. Maybe worth a taking a look in the bios to see if there is an option for having different multipliers based on number of active cores.

The BIOS is a flashy EFI one, but seems to be lacking really.

The EFI stuff does look fancy, but I can't really see a benefit to it.

I think this board is just a basic P67 one, I bought the board / cpu / ram / case etc as part of a bundle, so guess it was just the cheapest P67 board they could use.

As long as it runs faster than the other workstations - which it easily does, then it was money well spent.

The EFI stuff does look fancy, but I can't really see a benefit to it.

I felt the same way about my Asus board at first. After so many years of plain white text on blue screens... they just seemed to work, why change? I'm getting used to it slowly. It is kind of nice to be able to use the mouse I guess.

it is nice - but really can't see a benefit - if anything the BIOS takes longer to work through before you get to the "starting windows" screen.

Maybe I will get used to it...

I have Asus board and love the new EFI bios. So much nicer and easier to get around in.

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike it, just haven't found any benefit to it yet other than a pretty picture...

Back