• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new All-in-one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I posted over at the gentoo forums but I thought I'd post here too. My Canon iP4300 died just recently. I was looking to replace it but I see all-in-ones are about as cheap as a standard printer. I'm looking for one with good linux compatibility, printing and scanning. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to keep it under $100 and have individual ink tanks. (I'm not apposed to a laser but I don't think I'll find it for $100)

Brother printers seem to do pretty well, but just about anything will work with CUPS nowadays

DO NOT get a Lexmark. They are the maker from hell as far as I am concerned on linux. Those stupid things are the cheapest POS' out there. Spent far to much time trying to get everything in all-in-one Lexmarks to work.... never again

Last edited:
Even in Windows they lose some of the functions with no explanation.

To scan a friend's Lexmark all in one, you have to go into IrFanView to get it to scan. The buttons no longer do anything nor does the installed Lexmark driver/utility. Prints fine, but the scan/copy/print function is broken. I have to two step it in IrFanView.

I have a HP 4500 on my home network. Works great in Mint 10 Debian out of box. haven't used the scanner in Linux yet, but it was easy on my Epson using SANE.

Openprinting.org has a printer compatibility list.

I use an HP Officejet 5510. It does not have individual ink tanks for each color but it works in linux. To cut down on ink costs, look for a printer that has ink cartridges you can refill instead of buying an HP ink cartridge when your ink runs out.

w/e u do, go laser, ull LOVE yourself.

I know its more expensive, but o man its nice.

I got my brother HL5140 off craigslist for 30 bucks, for literally a BRAND new printer... granted its not an all in one / color... but i RARELY scan things, and RARELY print in color so when i do the hassle of using my moms dell AIO, is so worth it.

I can not tell you how much we as a faimly (the printer is hooked to the network) have saved on ink, and frustration... i literally load 250 sheets of paper in it once a month and never touch it. Oh and the fact i can print 6k pages, for ~ 11 bucks a refill... vs the maybe 500 or so ur gonna get outta ur standard ink jet cartridge for 30 bucks.

Brother makes some cool AIO color lasers, they are pricey.

My suggestion... get a color laser printer, then a seperate scanner if u really need the scanner..... OR, find a cheap inkjet AIO off CL, and a black n white laser, n ull have everything u ever need.

Im not sure how much support there is for stuff like this in linux but my latest expierence with well supported distros like ubuntu and mint, lead me to believe there is a driver without issue with most name brand stuff.

Im not sure how much support there is for stuff like this in linux but my latest expierence with well supported distros like ubuntu and mint, lead me to believe there is a driver without issue with most name brand stuff.

except for lexmark... evil evil printers

* the hatred is strong in this one*

Another "Stay away from Lexmark" post. Had to many bad experiances with them.

For inkjet, Epson is my number one choice. For Laser it would have to be Richoh (Brother a close 2nd. Heard very good things about Brother and high-yield printing)

Check out the Epsom .. I had a epsom 500 workforce and i love it and it work flawless, but the ink was like $50.oo ..I would check out kodack printers as long you don't need a fax machine.. Also check out target and walmat because they clearance them out alot for like $30.00 when normal is $80.00

I have to agree with the Lexmark stuff

My family and I have had a few and they just seemed to die in less than a year

Back