• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Sys Build... thoughts? discuss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicemoon

Hi all... First a bit of background, I'm building this as a carpc... ok, a big rig truck pc. I'm a trucker with a techy side.
This is my idea, please any thoughts are welcomed.

Case:
Thermaltake Lanbox Lite (Already have from last build)

Power Supply:
Antec BP550

Motherboard:
Biostar ta880gb+

Processor:
AMD Phenom ii x6 1055t hex core (non black edition)

Ram:
Kingston HyperX 8gb cas7

Vid Card:
ASUS ENGTS450

sound onboard, nic Linksys wifi (have laying around)

Optical:
Plextor Sata DVD Burner (have laying around)

Hard Drives:
(have a 250 gig and a 1tb laying around... could be better quality, but they are sata and functional)

Keyboard:
Logitech g15 (have laying around)

Mouse:
Microsoft Intellimouse Wireless (have this laying around too)

Monitors:
Dynex 32" Lcd tv/monitor for the sleeper of my truck
The piece de resistance 7" lcd touchscreen/car(truck)pc monitor for the cab of my truck

Any thoughts again are appreciated, the components I have laying around are pretty much set in stone, all others are changeable though

Several things come to mind-

You'll want additional batter(ies) to power this thing, as well as an inverter.

Where you live will be a concern, as you wouldn't want to start the system when it literally had a bit of frost in it, for example

You'll want to check the safe operating and non operating temperature ranges for every component you choose, then take into consideration how hot and cold your truck gets in the hot summer sun/winter cold and make sure it doesn't exceed those limits.

In a vehicle mounted PC, I would personally go for a track pad and low profile, attractive lighted keyboard, and mount them in the dash. You can lose a mouse.

I would NOT use mechanical drives. Say you hit a REALLY insane pothole. One of those ones that are like a canyon and manage to hide until you go through them. You could kill a drive and lose data. An SSD wouldn't carry that risk.

I would shock mount the case. Wouldn't be that hard to do, and would be a matter of a thick rubber/silicon mat where the case bolted to the truck.

I'd liquid cool. You can put a HUGE radiator in your truck and hide it.

Other than that, just build a PC you like. And put it in your truck.

To reply to the ocnoob:

My truck has 4 series batteries in place, I have a 2500 watt inverter in place as well.

I have an apu on my truck which keeps the sleeper at the desired ambient air temp... I have mine set at 68 degrees. so this solves the problem of cold truck air as well as maintaining temperature load requirements of components.

I'm wanting to keep the keyboard and mouse setup I have as they work really well for gaming, with the carpc software frontends i will control essential aspects of the computer in the cab (mainly gps and the radio) via the touchscreen up front, all other pc use will be in the back where the standard keyboard/mouse work well.

I am considering going solid state eventually, but i've had the same drive riding cross country with me now for over 300,000 miles and still works fine.

The case is currently attached to a cheap memory foam pillow (went cheap so it'd be a little firmer than the good ones) which absorbs shocks beautifully.

I won't be doing much overclocking so to me liquid cool isnt really a necessity

The idea is cool.. I'd switch the following:

seasonic 550 its cheaper and has been tested/reviewed and gotten more positive than that specific corsair unit

as for GPU.. the 400 series runs hot.. not sure I'd personally want to throw one in a lanbox without good cooling.. how much are you willing to spend?

If not a ton, and depending on what games, the ATI 58xx cards are killer, but then you're coming close to 200 bucks for the card. There is a deal on newegg now to get a 5870 for 200 after MiR and instant rebate.. check the details here

I agree the 400 series do run HOT (thats an understatement) Get something in the 500 series, My 580 idles at 31-34 degrees, the lower end ones will be just as good if not better

I looked for but couldn't find the power requirements for that ASUS ENGTS450 DIRECTCU/DI/1GD5 video card. I would check that befor going with a 550w power supply. Just seams a little low wattage to me thats all.

Back