• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Overclocking Estimate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

I signed up here, because I decided to start overclocking for fun. I just built this system out of parts I bought used on ebay:

Gigabyte GA-EX58Extreme
8 GB Corsair 1600 CL9 9-9-9-24
Core i7 930 (4x2.8)
Coolermaster V8 CPU Fan
Sapphire 5970 Toxic for 3x24" Eyefinity
Thermaltake Element G
Dual Caviar Blacks 1 TB that I wish to run in Raid 0
Corsair HX1000W PSU

I'd like to know how much I should be able to OC this without permanently damaging the hardware. I was hoping for at least 4 Ghz CPU, 1 Ghz GPU and 8-8-8-24 latencies on my RAM. Is that realistic?

Thanks in advance.

A 4.0GHz clock from a i7-930 is realistic and fairly straight forward, but tightening the RAM timings from 9-9-9 to 8-8-8 w/ 8GB installed is probably too much to ask.

A 4.0GHz clock from a i7-930 is realistic and fairly straight forward, but tightening the RAM timings from 9-9-9 to 8-8-8 w/ 8GB installed is probably too much to ask.

Thanks for the quick reply.

How much of a difference do the 1-1-1 reductions make? Where do you feel the difference?

If that isn't possible how much would I realistically be able to do with my RAM? Or should I just leave these alone?

4Ghz fairly straight forward? How much more is doable w/o considerable voltage adjustment?

Tightening RAM timings isn't as much about "feeling the difference", but more about trying to achieve the highest possible bandwidth combined w/ the lowest latencies (clock cycles) primarily for benchmarking.

How much would I realistically be able to do with my RAM? Or should I just leave these alone?

4Ghz fairly straight forward? How much more is doable w/o considerable voltage adjustment?
Both questions are impossible to answer, as there are too many variables involved. And whether or not you want to experiment w/ RAM timings, DRAM frequencies, etc. is entirely up to you.

Last edited:
Tightening RAM timings isn't as much about "feeling the difference", but more about trying to achieve the highest possible bandwidth combined w/ the lowest latencies (clock cycles) primarily for benchmarking.

Oh so it won't have much of an effect on actual gaming/working?

Btw can I use my old 9800gtx+ or my 8800 gtx ko acs3 for physx with the radeon? I also have a bfg tech ageia card lying around. Any point in installing these?

Back