• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advantages of W7Pro as opposed to W7Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok.....But with home premium 64bit you still have restore and the ability to create backups correct?

Yes thats correct. Pro adds the ability to backup over the network rather than just to local drives, but otherwise the backup feature is the same.

One other thing not mentioned is Pro allows incoming Remote Desktop Connections while Home Premium does not (only outgoing).

You can also restore files and folders individually to an earlier date if I recall correctly. XP mode is probably the big one.

I use xp currently professional at that....However, xp mode in windows 7 is odd....what purpose would I want that ability for, or I guess the proper way to state the question...What can't I do with Windows 7 Pro that I could do with XP Pro?

Its usually used for businesses that have really old custom legacy software that won't run under Win7.

If most of the stuff you use is less than 5 years or so old then it should all work fine.

I use xp currently professional at that....However, xp mode in windows 7 is odd....what purpose would I want that ability for, or I guess the proper way to state the question...What can't I do with Windows 7 Pro that I could do with XP Pro?

Should be able to do most things. I moved everyone at my office from xp to Win7 and only had to change some settings in the route software we use which was originally designed for 2000/xp.

You will think this sounds crazy..but with having a little kid and stuff...I liked ME really well back in the day you could get all the little flying wingdings for your mouse pointer and so fourth.....do they have any of that kind of stuff for windows 7? I remember in ME they had a upgrade package you could get that allowed for more "pretties" if thats the best term to use :)

You will think this sounds crazy..but with having a little kid and stuff...I liked ME really well back in the day you could get all the little flying wingdings for your mouse pointer and so fourth.....do they have any of that kind of stuff for windows 7? I remember in ME they had a upgrade package you could get that allowed for more "pretties" if thats the best term to use :)

It was called "Microsoft Plus!", I believe it was only for Win95, Win98, and apparently ME (I never had ME). The gui in XP was different and killed it off.

They essentially brought it back with Win7 (maybe it was in Vista too?) with downloadable themes. Instead of having a couple themes in a prepackaged set, you can just go download the ones you want.

Right click the desktop, click personalize, click get more themes online. I don't know if any change the mouse pointer, but many change the desktop, colors, and sounds just like Plus! used to.

Thats right......It was a nice kinda add on...I am sure all the little motions and stuff slowed ur computer down or something back then but I wouldn't think now it would effect as much

there was one for xp also it just kinda sucked and wasn't as neat as the others in my opinion

one other consideration: RAM limitations.

Though 64bit can read umpteen gazillion gigs of RAM, MS has limited the different version to differing amounts. Though to be honest, it isn't likely someone with Win7 Home is gonna hit the (i think around 12gb) limit.

one other consideration: RAM limitations.

Though 64bit can read umpteen gazillion gigs of RAM, MS has limited the different version to differing amounts. Though to be honest, it isn't likely someone with Win7 Home is gonna hit the (i think around 12gb) limit.

Home Premium is limited to 16GB, which is really all the ram you can practically get in 4 slot machines using 4x4GB sticks. Very few if any "home" users need that much anyway though.

Steping up to Win7 Pro lets you use 192GB, although for all practical purposes you'll be limited to whatever your hardware can accept.

Back