• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on O.C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LBYuan

Registered
Currently I'm using AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40Ghz Processer. Yesterday I try setting my CPU Frecuency to 220 Mhz on BIOS and every thing works fine. But when I try pushing up to 225 Mhz, I starts the Windows. After I started to my Windows, I did it. But after 5 minutes, while I was pumping the load to max by opening some programs and a game, the whole pc hangs there. When I set to 220Mhz the CPU temp was about 50C++ only. Does anything goes wrong when I setting the frecuency? Or I need to configure the higher Voltage for my processor? (Currently 220Mhz is 1.3500V) and my PSU Walt was 450W
:rock:

Moved to the appropriate forum for you... redduc900

Attachments

• 180748_187138777971601_100000264410083_592638_3192949_n.jpg
    180748_187138777971601_100000264410083_592638_3192949_n.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the athlon processors were not good overclockers. You will be lucky to get much more than stock out of them. I would suggest using programs like CPU Stabtest, prime 95, and other similar programs to test for stability. Judging by your temps, I would say that anything other than a minimal voltage bump is out of the question. With those athlon processors, when you push them (even just a little sometimes) speed wise they tend to hang and slow down.
-Greg

:welcome: to OCF!

Currently I'm using AMD Athlon(tm) 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40Ghz Processer. Yesterday I try setting my CPU Frecuency to 220 Mhz on BIOS and every thing works fine. But when I try pushing up to 225 Mhz, I starts the Windows. After I started to my Windows, I did it. But after 5 minutes, while I was pumping the load to max by opening some programs and a game, the whole pc hangs there. When I set to 220Mhz the CPU temp was about 50C++ only. Does anything goes wrong when I setting the frecuency? Or I need to configure the higher Voltage for my processor? (Currently 220Mhz is 1.3500V) and my PSU Walt was 450W

Moved to the appropriate forum for you... redduc900
You are probably getting instability from heat. At 55 almost any AMD starts to become unstable and 60 is pushing.

You should check your RAM speed, it could be you're overclocking the RAM, which will also cause instability.

Could you please post CPU-Z CPU, Memory, and SPD screen shots?

:welcome: to OCF!

You are probably getting instability from heat. At 55 almost any AMD starts to become unstable and 60 is pushing.

You should check your RAM speed, it could be you're overclocking the RAM, which will also cause instability.

Could you please post CPU-Z CPU, Memory, and SPD screen shots?
Sure! :D Here is it.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 102
Hmmm, the SPD tab is missing :-/ and that would be helpful because your RAM settings look really, really odd. Are you running two sticks of RAM or just one???

Hmmm, the SPD tab is missing :-/ and that would be helpful because your RAM settings look really, really odd. Are you running two sticks of RAM or just one???

I'm using only one stick of ddr2 RAM. Erm...the SPD tab was on the upper right side? O.0

You've got CPU (up/left), Mainboard (up/right), Caches (bottom/left), and Memory (bottom/right) - no SPD.

One stick of RAM explains a lot, though.
Here it is:
Does changing the ram frecuency to 800Mhz on BIOS helps?

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 86
Why is Multiplier at 5x instead of 12x. If you are wanting to push the FSB and drop the mulitplier down some that is fine but dropping it to 5x is way to much.

Edit: OK, I see it now you either have C1E or cool n quiet enabled in the bios causing it to down clock that screen shot was taken at idle.

Specs say max 1.25 vid you are pushing pretty hard on that cpu. <-----I pulled up wrong specs there, that was Windsor core. Once you get rid of some of that heat then you can disable C1E, cool n quiet and set CPU fan to manual 100% and start pushing back up, this should give you a better OC.

Last edited:

Looking at your CPU multi, Core speed, and voltage changes, first thing's first.. you need to disable Cool n' Quiet in your BIOS. If you see another option called C1E support, disable that too. For these purposes.. you don't want the CPU to be throttled. Best thing to do is to set em at their stock values instead of leaving them on auto, and work up from there.
Until you finalize your CPU OC.. you can leave RAM alone or give it a bump one notch higher for speed. Wouldn't be much problem in running 533Mhz. Do you have your RAM manually set to 1.80V-1.85v? Don't be afraid of adding 0.05v from stock, if anything it may run better.. ain't that right QI? ;)

...Oh yea, just thought of it, what's your CPU cooler and thermal paste? Crossing fingers and hoping it's not teh stock one...:rolleyes:

When you change or adjust your bus speed like that, you're also affecting the HT link speed, RAM speed, and I think I remember something about an HTT, but can't remember which part that is... :bang head
I do remember the need to keep HT at or under 1000 though.. so change that from a 5x multi to a 4x multi. I fear the problem lies with the fact you only have 1 RAM stick. 2 is preferrable, especially as a matched pair for optimal dual channel operation. 1 RAM stick may also hinder the performance you're looking to achieve. As with anyone running a single RAM stick, my first opinion would be to go buy a 2nd identical stick, or buy a dual channel pack, with both sticks in it. You would then replace the 1 stick with the 2 new sticks.. If I may offer a suggestion, look into G.Skill. I'm using a great pair of G.skilll PC6400 sticks with 5-5-5-15 timings on my mATX computer with a Wolfdale E6300 2.8, clocked to 3.6 with the stock cooler.. but the sweeter part is I have em running at 1033Mhz 5-5-5-15. :D I think it's like 2.1v but hell if I know lol. :p
But also.. Would you mind posting the rest of your system specs? I can tell you're using an ECS board with the nVidia MCP61 , but it's always helpful information to have filled in. ;)

Last edited:
Oops, I did a search for Brisbane but it brought up the windsor specs. Brizzy is 1.325 to 1.375vid so you have a cooling issue to deal with. Maybe a cleaning of the heatsink/ remount with better TIM/ better heatsink will help, possibly restricted air flow through the case. What case and how many fans do you have?

brizzy.jpg

Last edited:
@CgS Drone: I put the memory multiplier to auto. When I'm playing games it auto multiply it to x12(max)
@Parad0x420: Mobo: ECS 6100-PM-M2
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (Brisbane)
RAM: Kingmax Ddr2 400Mhz (I change it to 800Mhz but still the same in BIOS)
HDD: Seagate 500GB
DVD-ROM x1

Last edited:
LBYuan, you have C1E and cool n quiet enabled that is why the multiplier is going up and down. Basically the computer is down clocking when it doesn't need full power. However this causes issue's when trying to overclock the computer that is why it is recommended to disable these feature's in the bios. But for now I would recommend that we get the temp. issue resolved first then move on to a better overclock for your system.

Could you let us know what cpu cooler, Case and how many fans you have in the case. Do you have good cable management (are the cables all clear of air flow path and secured back out of the way)?

CoolNQuiet (or C1E) can definitely mess with an overclock and need to be disabled.

However, your biggest problem is heat and you'll need to get that under control before much can be done about stability.

LBYuan, you have C1E and cool n quiet enabled that is why the multiplier is going up and down. Basically the computer is down clocking when it doesn't need full power. However this causes issue's when trying to overclock the computer that is why it is recommended to disable these feature's in the bios. But for now I would recommend that we get the temp. issue resolved first then move on to a better overclock for your system.

Could you let us know what cpu cooler, Case and how many fans you have in the case. Do you have good cable management (are the cables all clear of air flow path and secured back out of the way)?

I use normal case.Side Panel opened. My CPU Cooler was the original one :p Totally I have three fans on my pc (2 CM Led Fan and one CPU fan)
Below was my cousin's overclocked pc. He change only CPU frecuency on BIOS O.0 He's using the normal CPU cooler also.This only call hot wat lol

Attachments

• 163630_193825547298199_100000122654082_808908_3238567_n.jpg
    163630_193825547298199_100000122654082_808908_3238567_n.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Since it looks like the consensus votes on the heat problem.. First off you should look at replacing the stock heatsink/fan.. and probably investing in some good thermal paste. Though, some coolers actually include some good paste.. I'll have to make a list. Gotta do it anyways, my friend wants me to order him a new CPU fan. :rolleyes:

... Um, what does your cousin's midly overclocked E7500 have to do with your results? Unless you're comparing temperatures.. Intels have a higher heat threshold than AMD chips. The i7 aka space heater, typically has a running load temperature into the 70s*C. So unfortunately, you really can't compare temps between AMD and Intel.

Intel and AMD are two different animals. The intel can work at those higher temps where if you are lucky the AMD will shut down if your not lucky then you are buying a new CPU. If you have the side of the case off and you are still getting those temps then you either need to
1.reapply new TIM and hope that you have a bad mount
2. get a better CPU cooler.

My vote is for option number 2. Since this will protect your cpu much better than the stock heatsink and extend the life of the CPU. If you are going to spend the time to get a better heat sink there are countless threads on here about good quality lower price coolers that would serve you well.

The AMD CPU can run at max what temp? 60C? So the main prob is the Temp la...kk

Back