• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing to Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I've about had it with windows. While I've got win7 64 bit doing OK it still has issues. Quirky as hell. Sometimes everything works sometimes not. While Linux isn't perfect either, I believe it to be more stable and reliable. I used Ubuntu for a while, but got frustrated with the inability to run windows apps. There is
Wine, but I couldn't figure it out. Now I'm getting serious about Linux. I want to dual boot. Not the other bit of installing in windows and then booting into Linux. Is there a how to around here? I've got 2 500GB hard drives. One is used for storage and backup. I could use it for Linux if I can figure out how to make it work. I can figure Wine out after I get things installed and working. Also, I'm not a dos guy and so much of what Linux does is command line like stuff. That's the biggest reason I stopped using it. I'm hoping to find enough support here to get the job done. Suggestions?

Almost every distro will detect the other operating system and add it to the GRUB loader. You shouldn't have to do anything but install the OS. When you boot normally, you will get a graphical screen that asks what operating system you want to boot. Select it and hit enter.

playonlinux

You can also use playonlinux which is the gtk replacement to winedoors..ive used it to run my steam acct with css..still has its bugs but is very compatible with alot of the recent software and x64bit apps

Pop in a Linux Live CD on your windows machine. I prefer Mint9.

Boot from the DVD.

Enter your timezone, name, partition size for the Linux.

Bam! Instant dual boot. :) It takes like 5 mouse clicks to get there.

I think you should install Virtualbox on your windows 7 machine, run linux inside of it and see if it's for you.
otherwise I think you'll just flipflop between the two and never really invest the time to learn either OS.

I prefer the fedora type linux distro, although Mint comes in a close 2nd.

Or just take the plunge and dump Windows. It is difficult to do, though.

Don't use playonlinux, it is based on old versions of wine and not really ideal. Your best bet is wine + the appdb + winetricks. Also post any issues you have here/wine-users mailinglist/forums. I'd try out Ubuntu or Kubuntu (or mint) as most people like those to start with. You'll be fine :)

Back