• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Power Supply Dead?? How to test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My signature should describe my rig at the bottom.

I have an Antec True 430W PS. It's about 8-9 years old never a problem.

I turned off my computer last night no problems. This morning, nothing absolutely nothing.

I don't have a multimeter either. Is there any way I can test it.

I have already confirmed the power cord and outlet are working. I just put a "gadget" in in the outlet and also the cord which lights up a light bulb when current is properly flowing through the whatever connection you are testing.

The only thing I can think of if it's NOT the power supply, is the On/Off button on the front of my computer. I have never had a problem turning it ON, but sometimes just pressing it doesn't turn OFF the computer. I have to push it twice, weird I know.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated in diagnosing what is wrong.

Second, IF I do need a new power supply. What brands and models would you recommend getting. I just need something similar to what I own. Nothing higher (unless that's all that is available).

Thanks in advance!!

My signature should describe my rig at the bottom.

I have an Antec True 430W PS. It's about 8-9 years old never a problem.

I turned off my computer last night no problems. This morning, nothing absolutely nothing.

I don't have a multimeter either. Is there any way I can test it.

I have already confirmed the power cord and outlet are working. I just put a "gadget" in in the outlet and also the cord which lights up a light bulb when current is properly flowing through the whatever connection you are testing.

The only thing I can think of if it's NOT the power supply, is the On/Off button on the front of my computer. I have never had a problem turning it ON, but sometimes just pressing it doesn't turn OFF the computer. I have to push it twice, weird I know.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated in diagnosing what is wrong.

Second, IF I do need a new power supply. What brands and models would you recommend getting. I just need something similar to what I own. Nothing higher (unless that's all that is available).

Thanks in advance!!

Viper,

Borrow a multi-meter or ask a neighbor or a friend. Otherwise you're guessing and could assume it's your switch or motherboard. Do that before you buy a new power supply.

Either way that Antec doesn't owe you anything and probably should be replaced anyhow at that age. You could have bad capacitors inside it which is common for these older TP Antecs. The little Corsair CX430 or Antec Earthwatts 380 would be fine if you need a new power supply and they are inexpensive.

Thanks! I'll go out and get a multimeter. Can you suggest, or anyone a good guide to go through and how to check whatever electronic parts I would need to check, how to do it. I'm not the most electrically inclined person unfortnately, I guess I'm about to get a crash course. Crap. I hadn't even considered it could be my board...crap!

I'm concerned about two main things...One not getting electrocuted, and two, introducing static electricity and shorting out any working computer parts. It's been a long time since I built my rig.

Last edited:
U can test if its the switch by removing the front button connection on your mobo and using a screwdriver to short the terminals for a second. If it turns on its the switch. If not its something else.

U can test if its the switch by removing the front button connection on your mobo and using a screwdriver to short the terminals for a second. If it turns on its the switch. If not its something else.

Thanks I didn't know this. I'm looking in my mobo's manual. I have a few questions.

It has listed PWR and GND, 2 separate, 2 pin terminals. In the ASUS diagram both of these lead to the "ATX Power Switch"

Do I touch the screwdriver to BOTH pin sets??

Last edited:
Im trying to get him to see if its the switch by jumping the power leads on the mobo to avoid using the switch.

Im trying to get him to see if its the switch by jumping the power leads on the mobo to avoid using the switch.

Has an Intel P3 board that required for a long time until one day.........

Attachments

• facepalm_No Text.jpg
    facepalm_No Text.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,322

I removed the on/off switch's wires (green and black), and touched a screw driver, to both the power terminal, and again to the power and ground terminal that are normaly covered the ON/OFF switch wire. Nothing happened.

OK..here's what I did.

I checked the CMOS battery..reads 3 volts.

I didn't disconect the PSU from anything (I found on the internet it seems the PSU needs a load when checking it, I THINK?) except the mobo.

I inserted one end of a paper clip into the Green wire slot of the 20 pin molex. I put the other portion into a black ground wire slot of the 20 pin molex.

I turned on the PSU, the fan would not go on.

I left it "on", and checked various slots of the 20 pin molex/connector. All read 0.

I take it the PSU is dead...Before I buy a new one..Is there anything else I should do??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
An original Truepower this old is very, very likely to be full of bad capacitors... I'd honestly write it off and replace it.

An original Truepower this old is very, very likely to be full of bad capacitors... I'd honestly write it off and replace it.

Thanks for the advice. It's an original TruePower...Never had a problem with it. I'm shocked I turned it off w/no problem, and then poof it wouldn't turn on. That is no warning signs.

I'm under a deadline so I have to buy at a store. I can't mail order.

I'm looking at the following 2 units, any suggestions:

Antec Basiq 430W or 500W Continuous PSU (whichever the store has)

Antec Earthwatts EA 430D Green PSU 430w ATX Power Supply

I don't need more than 430W, out of curiosity. If I can't get Antec, what brand and model line up (I know some models are better made than others w/in the same company) would people suggest at the $45-$65 price range?

Thanks for all the above posters, I really appreciate your help, it's been very helpful!

Last edited:
CX, I heard (maybe OW will confirm/deny) that it is of lesser quality than the TX, HX, and especially AX series...

Here is a snip I found, but it is from a Corsair rep...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67916&postcount=15

Well the link you gave me for NewEgg says if I buy it today, w/mail in rebate it will cost $25 dollars

A great price....but you know how it is, you had something that last 11 years, you get loyal, great product etc etc...Not sure now..reading the review on JGuru site.

The EA-430D (or EA-380D for that matter) is an excellent Delta-built power supply. You won't go wrong with getting one rather than a CX430 - they pretty much compete on equal terms.

Modular vs non modular are the cables. Modular means you attach what you use (outside of 24pin and 8 pin depending on model). Non modular means all the cables are there period.

Modular vs non modular are the cables. Modular means you attach what you use (outside of 24pin and 8 pin depending on model). Non modular means all the cables are there period.

Thanks guys...Ah..I know of that feature, but didn't know that's what it is called. The CX is nice, all cables sleeved, good review, great price w/rebate..But may not be able to wait to receive it..May have to get something local.

Back