• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600K temperature issues, new install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

I just put together my new computer:

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D case
OCZ Vertex 80Gb Sata
Patriot Viper 12GB DDR3 1600
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4Ghz
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard
Gigabyte Radio HD6850 x 2 1GB

I turned it on and immediately noticed that the CPU was running at 78C. I powered off immediately and removed the stock heatsink and removed the stock thermal paste and put some of my own on it thinking this was the issue. I then reinstalled the heatsink and turned it back on but the temperatures were still just as high. It starts out around 50C and every second or two it will tick up a degree. I am not sure how high it will get as I always power off around 70C.

Anyone have any ideas. I am planning on getting a new heatsink for my old computer and putting on my TRUE BLACK 120 on my new computer but I am worried something as wrong as I know this chip should not be running this hot.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

What are your ambient temeratures, 78C isn't nessisarily a crazy temperature for the stock cooler depending on the ambient.

Have you changed any settings in your bios yet, like voltages or overclocking options?

Well it is 78C at idle, it is probably 65F in my room right now that I am using the computer. It might even go higher than 78c I just turned it off when I was in the bios and realized that it was at 78C.

The heatsink will not move at all so I believe it is seated correctly...

Fan is running around 2000 rpm. Not sure if this is normal or not, just FYI.

Oh yeah that does sound high, I thought you meant load. Is the cpu fan spinning? Edit: ok you answered that question...

The thermal paste I am using is a few years old, does it go bad after a certain amount of time? It is artic silver 3.

When I put my hand on the heat sink and try to move it is def. on there very solid and does not move or wiggle at all so I feel like there is good contact there. I am not sure if that is the issue or not.

I have not installed windows on the computer yet so I cannot tell the temp with any program or anything. All I have to go off of is the Bios.

Is the heatsink hot?
Or warm?

If the cpu is REALLY 78C when idle, then that heatsink should be quite toasty.
If the heatsink is barely warm at all, then there is some sort of contact issue or something underneath the IHS, and you may want to RMA the chip...

To test for contact, apply a rice dab of AS3 in the center of the chip and apply the heatsink so its fully secure. Give a small pressure twist while applying. Then remove it. (Do not power the system). The compound should have spread out in an even pattern to a good sized surface area if there is good contact between HS and IHS.

I get 28C at idle at 1.25v with ven-X. Even stock shouldnt be above 45C.

What is the vcore? Did you check the voltage?

You've either got a defective temperature sensor or your heatsink was not applied properly.

Remember- if you remove your heatsink, thermal pads are one use only.
You'll have to clean off the residue from the CPU and heatsink with rubbing alcohol and reapply. Arctic silver 3/5 or Arctic Cooling MX2/3/4 or Shen Itsu or Cooler master goop or Noctua goop... whatever. The MX-3 and Shin Etsu have the best thermal transfer.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem since both SB mobos and chips are brand new, but I know when I got my Q9550 E0 it was showing 98*C in the BIOS until I got an updated BIOS that had full support of my chip.

If you put downward pressure on the CPU HS while in the BIOS does the temp drop? If you do this and the temp doesn't change and the HS feels relatively cool then I'd suspect it's just the BIOS displaying the temp incorrectly. If temps drop significantly when you do this then it's the mount.

Im betting it is not really that high. Touch the heatsinc if it doesnt just about burn your hand it is not that hot. First flash the latest BIOS or try reseating again if that doesnt work. Old paste is no big deal, I have tubes that are 5 years old and are fine.

Jason4207: I tried putting pressure on the heatsink while I was watching the temp in the BIOs but no luck the temp kept rising.

I have not installed windows on the PC yet so I am not sure if I have the newest BIOS or not. I am assuming I probably don't.

I have not adjusted any of the voltages or anything in the bios. Everything is at stock settings. When I check it the CPU voltage is 1.2v in the BIOS.

I left it running for a few minutes and the temp seems to level out in the BIOS around 70C. I touched the heat sink and it feels cool def. not warm or hot.

I guess I will go ahead and install windows and then update the bios and see if that changes anything. I will keep everyone posted and thanks for the help.

I guess I will go ahead and install windows and then update the bios and see if that changes anything. I will keep everyone posted and thanks for the help.

If you have a second computer and a usb stick handy you don't need to install windows. Just download the latest bios onto the usb stick from another computer and update the bios that way. On the tools menu of the bios there is a way to update the bios from the file you stored on the usb stick, no operating system needed.

I am not sure about the ASUS MB but with my Gigabyte P67AUD5 MB i have a bunch of caps that sit about a mm higher than my socket that interfere with getting a good HSF seal. I had to slide my cooler over a few mm to drop down beside them instead of sitting on top of them. The same thing happened with my old 780I system as well and I almost burnt my chip.

Yea, you may want to flash first just to be sure. Im pretty sure there will be a newer BIOS, there always is.
If you have a second computer and a usb stick handy you don't need to install windows. Just download the latest bios onto the usb stick from another computer and update the bios that way. On the tools menu of the bios there is a way to update the bios from the file you stored on the usb stick, no operating system needed.

I have a Asus P8P67 Deluxe MB and same CPU. I am using Akasa Freedom Tower cooler. In my BIOS screen I get 57C, I guess the stock cooler would have higher temperature. After I installed OS and drivers, the CPU goes into a more normal temperature like 38C-40C on light load. I guess it is normal for the Asus MB, I have the 1053 BIOS installed. I think it safe for the CPU up to 80C, I have reach that when I run it at 4.4ghz. My room temperature is around 23C and a old (3-4 years) artic silver 5 were used.

My advice would be to install the OS and drivers and see if the temperature remind the same. Also get a better heat sink if u plan to overclock it anyway.

PS: I specially register to this forum to answer your question :)

Yes, I just installed the new BIOS the 1053 and my temps actually jumped significantly. Now when I turn on the computer my temps start at around 70c and get up to 80C and then I turned it off. I still have not installed Windows or anything on it as I am nervous that it will overheat. The heatsink it always cool to the touch so I think there has to be an error somewhere. I am going to pick up a new heatsink today and install that and see what the temps say then. I will update once I do and will try to install windows and see if the temperatures seem to normalize.

Back