• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Overclocking AMD Phenom II X4 945

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperPieGuy

Registered
Hello, I'm planning on overclocking my CPU, and would like some advice. I've done a good bit of research. I'm pretty sure my CPU is not a black edition, because I can only make my multiplier lower than stock, which is 15x.

Currently, my CPU reaches around 65-68C when playing a game like Bad Company. Now before you say anything, I know that with those temps I'm in no shape to overclock. However, I'm getting a new case and replacing the stock CPU cooler, which clearly isn't doing much, and though this was a good opportunity to overclock. I think the new cooler and case will drastically change these temps.

New Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Deals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Its even got its own CPU fan!

New CPU Cooler: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...eID=X3Th4gZi_iQ-Fo0pmTf2RBH0p1.GdVKM2Q&beta=Y

I've heard ridiculously good things about this cooler. Even that it was as good as liquid cooling with 120mm Radiators. So I forgot about unappealing brown fans and suck it up. probably barely see it in the new case anyway.

So how high has the 945 gone? I've read some got it up to 3.6GHz with the stock cooler with a quick Google search, which is hard to believe. I think I got a basic understanding of how this overclock stuff works. So because my multiplier is maxed at 15x, I need to increase my Front Side Bus, which is at 200MHz. And Core speed is the product of CPU multiplier and FSB.

So when I increase my FSB I heard it was smart for beginners to go in increments of 10MHz, so it goes to 210MHz, and then my Core Speed is at 3.15Ghz. And you run Prime 95 for a couple hours and see if you temps are good on CPU-Z and you're done? Seems simple enough.

Now, I've heard some stuff about making sure that your voltage doesn't get to high, and I heard that 1.5 volts is high. Which is concerning, because according to CPU-Z, my "Core Voltage" is at 1.424V Idle, and at load 1.408V. Is that high? I never changed anything with my CPU, so I'm kinda surprised its that high. Should I worry about that or did I just expect it to be lower?

Thanks for the help everyone!

:welcome: to OCF!

If you haven't already you should read our Phenom II Guide: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

You are correct that you should NOT be overclocking and, considering how high your temps are, I'd consider manually setting the vCore (CPU voltage) to 1.35 until you get better cooling.

You've got the basics down. You didn't mention other multipliers, though. As you increase the clock speed from 200 MHz you'll also be increasing cpuNB, HT Link, and RAM speeds. The cpuNB shouldn't be a problem but you need to keep the HT Link and RAM speeds at or below their stock values, which can only be done by dropping their multipliers. Start with 8X for the HT Link and 1066 (or 533 MHz) for the RAM. That should keep those components in a safe range until you're over 3.6 GHz on the CPU.

For the vCore 1.425v isn't so bad and, yes, 1.50v is too much. You should set the vCore manually in BIOS instead of letting the BIOS control it. Start with 1.425v and only raise it if you fail a stress test. Since your cpuNB will also be increasing you should find and set the CPU NB VDD (cpuNB voltage) to 1.20v. You shouldn't have to raise it if you start there.

Hello QuietIce,

i have the same CPU and read the Phenom II Guid!

I have got my system booting to 3.75Ghz (250x15) on a MSI 740GM P25.
x4 HTL for 1000Mhz
x8 CPU-NB 2000Mhz
as recommended in the Guid!
my RAM is clocked to std 1333 by a devorce of 1:2:66 i beleave it was.

Now i put the CPU voltage to 1.503 and the NB voltage to 1.204!

After reading the post 3x i see now the CPU-voltage is way to high!!! oeps... but im still running lol, have put i back to auto ofcourse.

When i had it clocked to 3.75Ghz i used 3dMark06 as a small stresstest. First everything went oke, but then when it came to the CPU stresstest part, my computer Turnd OFF. BOOM :(

I have a Zalmann Cooler what is not that big but its bether then a StockCooler.

Can you tell me pls, what for voltage maybe i bether should use and wich Cooler i need.

It boots etc can surf, join TeamSpeak etc but when cpu power realy is needed, my system turns off, as it seems in the stresstest von 3dMark06.

So pls give me your advice.

Best Regards,

Fry

:welcome: to OCF!

If you haven't already you should read our Phenom II Guide: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

You are correct that you should NOT be overclocking and, considering how high your temps are, I'd consider manually setting the vCore (CPU voltage) to 1.35 until you get better cooling.

You've got the basics down. You didn't mention other multipliers, though. As you increase the clock speed from 200 MHz you'll also be increasing cpuNB, HT Link, and RAM speeds. The cpuNB shouldn't be a problem but you need to keep the HT Link and RAM speeds at or below their stock values, which can only be done by dropping their multipliers. Start with 8X for the HT Link and 1066 (or 533 MHz) for the RAM. That should keep those components in a safe range until you're over 3.6 GHz on the CPU.

For the vCore 1.425v isn't so bad and, yes, 1.50v is too much. You should set the vCore manually in BIOS instead of letting the BIOS control it. Start with 1.425v and only raise it if you fail a stress test. Since your cpuNB will also be increasing you should find and set the CPU NB VDD (cpuNB voltage) to 1.20v. You shouldn't have to raise it if you start there.

Thanks for the post. I did have some knowledge on how increasing the Clock Speed also increased the speed of other things thanks to a video I saw which convenient had the same motherboard as mine, I just didn't to have to big a wall of text.

I'll keep those things into account, and will reduce my voltage, I knew that didn't seem right. I still have ot get on that cooling. Going to try and order it today.

I want to ask one more thing. With the Noctua NH D14 cooler, would overclocking my Phenom II 945 to 4.0GHz be realistic? Thats what I was aiming fo rin the beginning, but I guess im not optimistic.

Other Possibly Important Specs:

ASUS M4N82 Deluxe mobo.
4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM.
EVGA GTX 295.

Doesn't seem like the 945 is as popualr as the 955 or 965 so its hard to tell.

Even those other X4's often have trouble reaching 4.0 GHz so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting 4.0 GHz out of a 945. The latest batch of 9xx chips seem to be doing well but older X4's just aren't up to that - at least not without other really good components like an AMD 8-series chipset board and quality RAM.

Also depends on whether it is a C2 or C3 revision chip. The C2s just won't go as far. But 3.5 to 3.6 should be doable. After that you might start hitting a wall. But you won't really know until you start OC'ing.

Okay, my doubts were legitimate. But I've rarely heard of OCs to 4.0GHz anyway, so I can be content with 3.6GHz, that'll be my goal.

And it is C2, not C3, so that adds to the improbability.

Back