• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop won't turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

I bought a laptop for my G/F for Christmas. I bought it used from my dad, who had upgraded to a brand new laptop.

The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv9000 AMD dual core model.

It was working fine since christmas, up to a week ago. Then suddenly, it would shut itself down and try to restart. It did this a few times, and my G/F simply restarted the laptop and had it boot back up.

Well now, It won't start at all. When you press the power button, the lights on the laptop itself lights up, but the monitor stays off. You can hear the fans kick on, and it just sits there. After about 30 seconds, it restarts on it's own, and does this all over again. The monitor never comes on, So you can't see any post screen, or windows try to boot.

I have tried spamming F10 ( to load the bios ) and F11 to try to load the software to do the HDD check / windows fix built into the laptop. no go.

I took out the batter, unplugged the laptop and held the power button down for 10 seconds, and plugged it back into the AC, no go. Plugged the battery back in after that, still won't turn on.

I then opened the bottom and took out the ram, and put only one stick in at a time, putting each stick, in each slot. No go for any configuration.

I tried replacing the BIOS batter, again, no go.

I took out the HDD and tried to boot it, and hope I could at least see a post screen...again, I got nothing. Put the HDD in the 2nd HDD slot. Still having the same problem.

I tested the AC adapter, it's pumping out the correct voltage. I tested the battery, and it's pumping out the correct voltage as well.

I tried hooking up an external monitor to the D-sub connector, to see if maybe the laptop's screen died. Still nothing.

I have tried just about everything I can think of, outside of taking the laptop completely apart, as I HATE taking laptops apart, and putting a laptop back together is one of my most hated activities of all time.

So before I decide to take it apart ( and quite possibly, never get it put back together correctly ), I figured I might as well ask here.

Anyone have any problems like this? Suggestions?

Anyone have any problems like this? Suggestions?

The only thing you didn't try was blow out the laptop with compressed air. I drought that will fix it. If it was overheating I think it would still post or at least try before shutting down.

Had the same problem as you once:fight:
Turned out to be the motherboard:rain:
Was a common problem with that model Compaq I latter found out.

Didn't need to blow out the laptop. I had fully cleaned it out with compressed air right before christmas. The only dust inside the thing could be blown out with your mouth.

Dammit! this really ******* sucks! Sure, the laptop was used, but there was ZERO indication that anything was wrong with it, up to a week ago.

Luckily, I didn't pay too much for it, but the fact that it was a present is what makes it worse. This makes me feel like crap. Nothing worse than having a christmas present break within a month.

Maybe I can find a way to save up some money in the next couple months, and pick up her a NEW, decent laptop. Since I got it from my dad, maybe he'll work out a deal with me or something.

It's the GPU. Some HP models have faulty nvidia GPUs that overheat and fracture the solder. Had the same thing happen to me when I bought a Compaq V6000 on here. Tossed the mobo into the oven to reflow the solder, and it boots up perfectly now.

There's currently a class action lawsuit on specific HP/Compaq models due to this being a common occurrence.. Although I can't find the specific website for it.

Edit - here it is. http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

Last edited:
This is a known issue with those GPUs. There is a guy in florida that fixes these for like 90 dollars.

Video with contact information is here.

I tried to fix one myself, it didn't work, I would recommend sending it in because he guarantees his work as well as finding a copper shim was a PITA.

Here is his website in Kissimmee Florida. http://rebootit.biz/

Edit: Looks like price has gone up to $125, but he also gives you information for class action suit, so you can be reimbursed. Well worth every Penny because the DV9000 really is a nice Laptop with a sucky GPU situation.

Back